Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Musical WOW

Remember those beanie kid's toys that were around some years ago - this is my very own beanie wombat. The radio/CD player is in my sewing room so I can have music while I sew, and it is a comfy spot for a floppy wombat to rest while he listens to music too. The yellow pot is an oil burner so the room can smell of lavender, or rose, or whatever takes my fancy at the time.

It has been quite a musical week! Last Tuesday, Australia Day, was Australian folk music, Wednesday night was Irish music, Saturday night we went to hear a local band play Fleetwood Mac - 'cover' or tribute bands seem to be doing well in Australia these days, our older son Stephen The Drummer plays in this one - it was quite loud and the lead guitarist had the volume on his instrument cranked up to the point of pain, but the crowd seemed to like them. They applauded Stephen's big solos thereby showing great discernment, I thought. Then yesterday morning at 10am music played by a clarinet, accordion, drum and singing started up across the road from us. It continued on and off between rain showers until about 3pm and was celebrating a wedding; every time more guests arrived they would join hands and dance Zorba-style around the front yard then join the other guests. It was really good to have live music instead of recordings! The street was quite crowded as it's a cul de sac, I don't know how the bridal limo managed to get to their driveway but they did, everyone left for the wedding and all was quiet again.

This morning we had another agent come to look at our house - that makes three agents now, so we will make our choice over the next few days and decide which agent we will ask to sell our house for us. Moving out of Sydney is something we have talked about for years and now that it's getting closer it's exciting and scary at the same time. Kevin has lived in Sydney all his life, I have lived here for nearly 40 years (but I am still aged only 29 and some months), so it will be a big change for both of us. In that time Sydney's population has doubled to about 5 million people, and the area it covers has doubled in size. Traffic has increased to a frightening amount and speed. The town we will be moving to has a population of about 50,000 and - compared to Sydney - not much traffic! It has fabric shops, and quilt shops, and music shops, and a thriving craft society including a quilting group, and five lawn bowls clubs for Kevin to play, so we will be happy with our lot in life.

The belated Christmas gift is coming along well, all the place mats have been assembled, they just need a final press then a line of quilting 1/4in inside the outer edge. Then they will be ready to be handed over! I am using my black and white variegated thread for the quilting, as black and white are New Zealand colours and some of the fabrics are black and white. The stiffness still in my fingers made holding the mats awkward, as I stitched up the openings left to turn them out the right way - but it's getting easier to hold things now. Kevin has to have a minor surgical procedure that he was all set to have when we returned from Canada but he postponed it, as I was pretty much useless for a while. So it has been re-scheduled for three weeks time when I will be able to drive the car again; my next physio appointment is on Friday so I will see what the nice young physio bloke says about driving.

Next project is to make a small bag as a gift, I am swapping some fabric with a fellow quilter on a music list we're both on and thought I would send hers in a little drawstring bag. Then perhaps I will print out a few copies of my Summer Serenade quilt and draw lines on it to help me visualise what quilting designs to use. I am really having trouble deciding what to do with this one but I would like to have it finished, it has been a top for long enough.

"Trusting the driver.
While driving with another who holds the reins, you must not interfere with the driver, as anything of this kind implies a reproof, which is very offensive. If you think his conduct wrong, or are in fear of danger resulting, you may delicately suggest a change, apologizing therefor. You should resign yourself to the driver's control, and be perfectly calm and self-possessed during the course of a drive."

Just remember that, when you are a little concerned by the driving ability of the person getting you from point A to point B.

Have a wonderful week!

Jennifer

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been having a good time of late. I'm so glad you are able to get back to sewing, slowly, but at least you can do it now. I've done a bit myself this weekend and feel awfully good about it. I hear you on the move, and packing and oy vey, it's a big undertaking, but a smaller area will be so nice. I never realized how huge the population of Sidney was. I looked Tamworth up on a map to see where you'd be moving. I also found this Aussie cooking website and this carmel mud cake that I'd dearly love to try, but it's in metric, yikes, when i tried to do some conversions, it just seemed off. someday i'll figure it out cuz it sounds to good not to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the little beanie wombat. OMG how too, too cute, cute, cute.

    What grabbed me most about the new town your moving to isn't the population (although 50,000 is great) and it wasn't the fabric shops, quilt shops and all that. It was where you said it has a "a thriving craft society and quilting group" plus the lawn bowls clubs for Kevin to play, too.

    Sounds very happy for you both. *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot begin to tell you how happy I have been since I moved to a small town and then a small city.

    Living in Florida was a zoo!!! Traffic and all that - thought I would end up going crazy...

    When we moved to Tennessee - 13 years ago - we lived in the country on 2-1/2 acres...then we moved here to our small little city six years ago - my whole mood changed...

    Know you are excited about moving away from Sydney...and I get to see a new place...by way of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all i know of Sydney i learned from Finding Nemo and reading your blog ... i think you will thrive in a smaller city!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've been having a fabulous time. Your beanie wombat is adorable -- and looks so comfortable there!
    Moving from a large city to a smaller area sounds heavenly to me! We talk about moving out of the city every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughing, as I imagine the horses bolting, & having to keep one's 'cool' so to say!!
    I am glad your hand is improving well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, that little wombat looks like a beanie baby...is it?
    I have a cd player like that at the cottage. great sound.
    Your new little town will be perfect from the sounds of it!
    Glad you are back to sewing.
    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im sorry we havent shipped out Kevins gift yet. Doug hasnt had much time off to go hunting for anything else to go in the package.
    He had to go into work today on his day off cause someone called in sick.

    We're both hoping someone signs on for part time work soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!