In the late 1850s Val Prinsep, a friend of the artist Dante Gabriel Rosetti, said "Rosetti was the planet around which we revolved, we copied his way of speaking. All beautiful women were "stunners" with us. Wombats were the most beautiful of God's creatures."
Seems that Rosetti loved wombats too.
The wonderful local news is that we now have a local Bernina dealership again! The previous dealer shut up shop a few months ago, which was a real bummer for anyone - me, for instance - who has Bernina machines. Note the plural. My main machine and my overlocker, serger to some of you, are both Berninas.
Tomorrow I have an appointment with a doctor, not the man I saw last visit, so I am hoping this time things go better. Nothing major, just a prescription that needs renewing and a sore foot which is swollen. I have hopes that this bloke and I will be able to at least understand each other, unlike the last disastrous waste of time.
The sky is getting a little darker so I am keeping a close eye on the clouds, as it's thunderstorm season here in spring. We have had a few storms lately usually in the late afternoon, and it's just 4pm now. There is washing hanging outside so I may need to make a quick sprint (or slow amble depending on the swollen foot) to fetch it inside.
The last rose has flowered and it is pink, a very pretty delicate shell pink. I quite like it, and I am not a pink person. Shall take its picture soon so the world can enjoy it too. Our plan to do nothing much in the garden for a year may have to be changed, we have had so much rain in the last six months and so much sunshine that it is rapidly becoming a jungle. I have earmarked (leafmarked? plants don't have ears) a few for removal before they grow much bigger.
"Squint-Eyes and Cross-Eye.
Parents should also be careful that their children do not become squint or cross-eyed through any carelessness, A child's hair hanging down loosely over its eyes, or a bonnet projecting too far over them, or a loose ribbon or tape fluttering over the forehead, is sometimes sufficient to direct the sight irregularly until it becomes permanently crossed."

That's a well fed cubby little fellow.
ReplyDeleteDo be careful not to sew your bonnet strings into your quilt!
Anchors away is very apt. I like it.
ReplyDeleteHope the doctors visit goes to your liking.
There's always some wonderful information shared here in a visit with you.
ReplyDeleteI like Anchors Away very much. It suits the pattern of your quilt nicely.
And that table is brilliant! I can see how it is much more comfortable and quite useful for quilting. It would also work with sewing larger garments of apparel, like a cloak, for example!
Yes, I, too, hope all goes well with your Doctor's visit. It's so important to be comfortable with our healthcare providers.
Happy Spring to you!
Well I thought I left a post and then it disappeared. Love the wombat - as always, so cute. Love your new quilt and can't wait to see the whole thing. Your new table looks great, and would make it much easier on you to quilt. Good luck with the new doctor and I hope it goes much better than the last time. I hope your foot settles out for you too - ouch!
ReplyDeleteWith squinted or crossed eyes....Im wondering how they ever explained how a kid was born cross eyed? Heaven forbid! I dont think I was ever meant to live in 'high society'.
ReplyDeleteBut when you look at a piddly 5 course meal at an opera ball with a $300 pricetag....I wouldnt want to. (been there, done that...went for a big burger afterwards *grin*)
Maybe I was meant to knit weird and wonderful hats that would make everyone cross eyed from either the colors or the form? *grin*
As a child I remember studying Australia and looking at all the strange animals...I still love all the animals from your part of the world and the little wombat is an addictive creature.
ReplyDeletehope the foot heals. My operated leg is a bit longer than the other. Who knew this would happen...hopefully it settles.
Your challenge quilt is coming along quite nicely .... I do love the border fabric and I may just have some of your lighthouse fabric in my stash ... will have to take a peek.
ReplyDeleteHopefully your foot is better by now .... take care.