Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

We're baaaaaack........

We went to the rainforest, and it rained.......

Had a lovely weekend at the music festival catching up with friends and hearing great music, even the rain didn't stop our enjoyment. We arrived on Thursday afternoon and set up camp. On Friday morning we explored the town, checked out the quilt shop (excellent), got back to our caravan just before the rain started.

It poured, there was thunder and lightning, the rain came down in buckets.

On Saturday morning it was nice and sunny, we listened to more music, I had a go at singing with the festival choir although it wasn't 'me' (I'm not one of those happy clappy types who prances and jigs around when they sing, getting into the moment).....but never mind, we caught some more concerts before it rained again. I joined in a ukulele workshop which was fun even if we didn't learn much. Later on it poured and the rain came down in buckets.

However I did have a go at singing with a band later, much fun was had by all - several of us got up and did our 'party piece'.

More of the same on Sunday, except the rain started earlier in the day. More buckets full. And there was more thunder and lightning too.

On Monday we visited the local rainforest centre and walked through the forest in the rain.....it wasn't heavy, just lightly drizzling, which made the experience magical as you can see in the pic above. There is a walkway over the treetops but all we could see was white mist. The whole area is beautifully green and lush. No wonder, with all the rain they get.

Next day we headed off to the coast and spent a few days by the water, being bitten by sandflies. It rained there too. But not as much as up on the plateau in the rainforest.
We treated ourselves to a boat cruise on Wallis Lake - yes, it really is this colour. It's a tidal estuarine environment, the captain told us. It was a very peaceful couple of hours.
The area is famous for its oysters, you can see some of the oyster leases on the other side of the little island. The previous day we had a wonderful lunch of fish and chips but avoided the oysters, as oysters and I are not good friends (they make me really ill) and Kevin doesn't really care for them anyway.

More pics will no doubt follow in due course.

We also caught up with some Sydney friends for lunch while we were away, which was great. Visited three quilt shops and helped along the local economy a little in each - we are always being told 'holiday at home and save local jobs' so I did my bit - I am now the proud owner of a Sew-Ezi table from one of the shops. My Lovely New Bernina is all set up in it ready to go. I'm happy to sew on a desk for most things but quilting a whole quilt on the desk is difficult, so hopefully this will make it much easier. The challenge quilt is calling.........just wish I wasn't such a wuss about machine quilting.......

Waiting for me when we arrived home was a parcel from Dianne who sent me some pumpkin seeds, among other goodies! So hopefully I will be able to make my pumpkin spice muffins taste more like the ones we had in Canada last year. Thanks so much Dianne, you are a gem - a veritable pearl. I also have my very own made-by-Dianne apron too. It's green.......and coffee brown. Yum.

Have to say, the folks I have met through blogging, both on-line and in real life, have all been lovely folks and I feel my life is richer for knowing them. So thank youse all for being there.

The kitties were very pleased to be home again, Binky talked to us all the way home in the car......and all that night while we were trying to sleep......she talked so much she lost her voice........just imagine a talkative kittie who can barely raise a croak, and that's Binkie.

"Parties in the country.
Morning and afternoon parties in the country, or at watering-places, are of a less formal character than in cities. The hostess introduces such of her guests as she thinks most likely to be mutually agreeable. Music or some amusement is essential to the success of such parties."

Believe me, watching while I machine quilt would be amusement enough.

Enjoy your days!

10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had fun and relaxed and did enjoyable things while you were away. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, Jennifer...that looks lovely. And peaceful and relaxing. I adore the sound of thunder....give me a good whacking thunder and lightning storm and I'm a happy girl!

    Welcome back...I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Home Jennifer. I was wondering when you'd be back and tell us all about your adventures. Sounds like a nice time despite the rain and who wouldn't have fun singing and visiting quilt shops, etc. That lake is gorgeous - the color fo the water is amazing. So glad you had fun, hope Binkie's voice comes back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved hearing the joy of friendship and of a wonderful time away in your voice. The photographs you shared are like the beautiful misty memories of a dream. I'll look forward to more.

    Welcome back home! So glad you had a safe trip, a marvelous journey, rain or shine.

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah rain, must be spring in Australia...lovely pics. Your story today was wonderful...can't imagine a cat losing it's voice he must have been really ticked at you.
    I went to a country party...in my youth. Everyone was dressed up to the nines and the women were guzzling beer out of the bottles. Impressive at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful photos -- the water colour is amazing! Binkie must have had an awful lot to say if she managed to lose her voice doing so! Hope she's recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photoes. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I am sure you are going to enjoy your Sew Ezi table. I am trying to picture your kitty with no voice left.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oysters - bleck ... but the WATER - oh my gosh - i LOVE that color! it is ... well ... simply LOVELY!!!

    p.s. - i missed you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the two of you had a lovely holiday. Did you find any wombat souvenirs?

    Now that October is over, the pumpkin muffins have been retired from Timmies .... roll on next October. I've cut up 2 pumpkins for the freezer and have been giving the birds the seeds. Perhaps I should keep a couple and plant them come spring.

    Your flowering shrubs are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!