Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Water, water everywhere.........

Earlier this year much of New South Wales was in drought, now it's flooded.......that peaceful river in the picture above is the mighty Murrumbidgee River at Wagga Wagga, now it looks like an inland sea. My blog header is a picture of the Macdonald River about 30 minutes from here, it flooded last week and certainly didn't look like that placid stream in the picture. Dorothea Mackellar's poem "My Country" says it well:

"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains".

Dorothea's family owned a large amount of land just an hour or so west of here, amid sweeping plains.

And today is the anniversary of the day that John Lennon died, I can still remember the shock that echoed round the world....we were all in disbelief, John was such a peace-loving person which made it so sad that he died the way he did.

On a slightly happier note, my signature has made its appearance again and seems to be staying. However Kiera-Oona has made me a selection in different colours so I can have a choice! I just need to get around to loading it on the computer. Speaking of which, we have our new computer back but there is a little doo-dad that joins the keyboard to the computer because the connections are different and it seems to be absent....probably still at the computer shop.......so I am still on the old computer, but hopefully only until tomorrow. Then my new signatures can be loaded.

Today was very fraught. I had my eye check-up, it's been nigh on two and a half years since the last one and I am getting new reading glasses.......erk, I hate having to choose glasses and try on different styles and look into the mirror and no matter which style I choose I still look awful.......was there for ages trying to decide......many of the styles available these days are narrow rectangular frames which I don't like and which look silly on me. The sales assistant helping me didn't think so. But I do. Absolutely ridiculous on my round square fat face. So then I came home and had some chocolate, which made me feel better. Thank goodness that's over for a few more years. Getting new reading glasses and buying new bras are at the top of my "really hate having to do" list.

Decided last week that we need a new table runner to deck the table for Christmas, so went looking in the Christmas stash for some fabric that a friend gave me many years ago.....must be at least ten years.......have made the top and will layer it tomorrow. The fabrics are different Christmas colours, instead of bright red and bright green these are dusty pink and soft blue-grey green with Christmas roses, poinsettias and mistletoe - they go very nicely with this house. Pics will follow soon, when the new computer is on line again.

The new dishwasher is wonderful.

Last Sunday night one of the choirs had its annual carols concert, the usual carols that everyone knows plus some very very old songs that I had never sung before. It went very well and the choir received many compliments, one person even said she has never heard it sound so good before. Must be because I am now a member.......

"Remain until the performance closes.
At a theatrical or operatic performance, you should remain seated until the performance is concluded and the curtain falls. It is exceedingly rude and ill-bred to rise and leave the hall while the play is drawing to a close, yet this severely exasperating practice has of late been followed by many well-meaning people, who, if they were aware of the extent to which they outraged the feelings of many of the audience, and unwittingly offered an insult to the actors on the stage, would shrink from repeating such flagrantly rude conduct."

No one left our concert early. This is probably because they knew there was an excellent choice of yummy treats awaiting them, and also because it was raining and they would have been very wet.

Enjoy your days!

11 comments:

  1. and you're a singer too..... I wish I could sing in tune... I agree re the buying reading glasses and bra's - but also include shoe buying to the list...
    my signature is back too.... hide and seek...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate shoping for new glasses too. I think Ive been avoiding it for about two years. I agree it's up there with bra shopping (and shopping for bathers which I do about once evey 12 years )

    It was pretty wet and wild here Tuesday (we set a December record for rain )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really bothers me when people leave early from a performance or presentation. I hate it! And, I some times say something about it...

    Sounds like the weather in your area is a bit or a mess - sorry to hear about all the flooding. Here it is just cold...

    Can't wait to see the new photos...I have to do upload some photos to my blog too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shopping for new glasses is not something I enjoy either! Hope the floods don't get any worse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to imagine a Christmas with rain instead of snow.
    I am sure your Choral Service was lovely. I look forward to singing the old favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well done, you must have sung beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on shopping for new glasses - I don't think any of them ever look good and it's almost time for my eye exam and getting new glasses for me - I feel your pain. Just back from the coast and our Thanksgiving holiday, so I'm trying to catch up on all my blog reading and boy am I slow. Hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer, so sorry to hear about all the flooding down under. We are getting cold weather but no snow so far, although that is suppose to change tomorrow.
    I hate shopping for glasses. I've worn them for over 50 years and it just doesn't get better. I keep the same frames for years, so I don't go through the angst.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah... and buying swimwear. I am still wearing my swimsuit from several years ago, because, last summer, I didn't like either of the two that were on offer with sufficient underpinnings to prevent an "itsy bitsy teeny weeny" bikini moment, if I even did more than lie graciously on a sun lounger.

    And going to the dentist. Though this last time, he found nothing wrong! I felt like buying a lottery ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can't SEE what i look like in glasses without the corrective lenses, so it's always a surprise when i try them on once they are all together - and then i am stuck with them for years on end ... sigh

    i have been worried about you and yours and all the flood waters - take good care - and don't drive through any strange puddles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For my birthday this past January I gifted myself a pair of reading glasses. Fortunately, I can make do with a simple, inexpensive pair, something I can pick up from the grocery store.

    But, I do so totally despise shopping for bras. AAUGH!

    Your sense of humor, however, is what makes the ordinary of the day to day become extraordinary. Thank you for the smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!