Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

No fame and glory this week

Aren't these glorious fall colours? Today is quite autumnal, with a stiff breeze blowing from the south across the valley and up onto our hill. Much nicer than summer's heat. The photo was taken in Dawes Road, Toronto, Canada; if you know Dawes Road you may recognise it, and you don't - why then, it doesn't matter. Just enjoy the colours.

Last weekend when the state quilt guild visited, a photographer from a local paper was wandering around taking pictures.....I was duly lined up with a few other ladies and posed in front of a quilt. When we received a copy of the paper today there is the photo.......but no me.......

I have been cropped!

While I didn't particularly wish to appear in one of the local rags I can't help feeling slighted.......makes me wonder about the conversation back at the newspaper office when the photos were being selected for publication. "We'll use that one, but oh dear - better get rid of that woman on the end" I can hear them saying. One picture is of the whole room with people sitting, standing and milling around and there I am way over at the back, if you didn't know it was me you probably would never recognise me. And that's OK. At least I wasn't cropped out of that picture, it would have left an odd hole.

There are no pictures of me on my blog. I doubt now there ever will be, because obviously I am something to be shunned and feared. Something with which to frighten small children and give honest people nightmares. I shall never feel the same about the image in the mirror again - that is, if I can bear to even look into a mirror.

On a more cheerful note, I have decided to put up a tutorial on the technique I taught my quilt group recently. I made sample pieces showing the different stages of making the block but the fabrics I used were a bit dull and didn't photograph very well (a bit like me, obviously) so I am cutting out some brighter fabrics. Look for it over the next few days.

Recently I ordered myself a cutting table like this one, I hope it arrives soon. There is a backlog of cutting and pinning, the kitchen bench is a good height but a bit narrow. Still, we use what we have, don't we - even if it is less than ideal.

Last week I had a most unnerving experience. We were on our way out when I decided to visit the bathroom first. Shut the door, lifted the lid on the toilet prior to doing what it is one does in these situations, and noticed a large green tree frog sitting in half in, half out of the water looking up at me with beady eyes. Erk. I very quickly shut the lid and left the room. Kevin, who is braver than I am, lifted it out and put it in the garden. I always check for frogs now before using the toilet. If one was sitting in one's usual position and a cold clammy little hand reached up and touched one on one's bare nether regions.........can you imagine the shock?

Showy dress.
The glaring colors and "loud" costumes, once so common, have given place to sober grays, and browns and olives; black predominating over all. The light, showily-trimmed dresses, which were once displayed in the streets and fashionable promenades, are now only worn in carriages. This display of showy dress and glaring colors is generally confined to those who love ostentation more than comfort."

I was wearing bright colours with an orange top when photographed - perhaps it was considered too loud and glaring to be seen by readers with delicate sensibilities?

Enjoy your days!



6 comments:

  1. Consider this- perhaps you were so gorgeous you made everyone else look dull and they couldnt crop every single other person out , so because you were so beautiful you had to go.

    I have the exact same cutting table and I LOVE it. I hope you have tons of fun with yours.

    Ugh a frog ....in the toilet...yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shay.... but you did make me laugh.... I also don't have me on my blog.....

    no frogs in toilets ... out, out, out....

    the cutting table looks awesome... another thing to add to my Christmas list....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newspaper photographers are a starnge lot - we found that out when one came to do an article about a project our group was doing. He had totally his OWN idea and would not be moved from it. ( I told hom what I thought quite politely but sarcastically ) Later he came back and appologised.

    How did the frog get there. Up the pipes from outside or via the toilet door?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the frog story...how did it get there? That's the querie my dear. Are they harmful? I know that you Aussies grow them bigger than life don't you. big enough to eat a small dog.
    Here in Canada frogs and toads are almost an endangered species. we take good care of ours at the cottage.
    Your fall is our spring. we look each day for buds on the trees, and new birds arriving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEK!!! ERRRRRK!!! no frogs in the bog!

    if it wasn't for photo shop and the delete button, i would never, never, ever be in a picture - but i DO know what you mean about feeling left out, just the same - there were a gazillion pictures taken at my niece's wedding and i was a tiny little spot in just one of them (it felt good to be a TINY sumpin, though)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeek on the frog! Can't wait to see your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!