It's rather strange, isn't it? We think it is a Banksia, the picture was taken late last year when we spent a few days at the coast. The walk along the top of the breakwater ran beside a park, and this tree was just inside the fence.
Daylight saving finished last night, woo hoo! Now the days feel normal again. This week our new bedroom curtains arrived and they do a wonderful job of keeping the room dark; instead of pink curtains which let in quite a lot of light and turn the room red on hot summer afternoons we now have teal, which keeps the room much darker and (I think) suits better. When the pelmet is installed it will be even darker still because at present light seeps over the top of the curtains. Don't know about you folks but I like to sleep in a dark cave, I don't sleep so well if the room is light, and we have a streetlight at the end of our driveway which shines into our bedroom if the curtains aren't dark enough. So yay for the new curtains! Scientists say we need darkness to sleep, and who am I to disagree with science.
Last weekend I made a new recipe, Butter Tart Squares. We tried butter tarts on our first visit to Toronto, Canada, in 2007 and quite enjoyed them.......had them on our subsequent visit and enjoyed them again. We don't have them in Australia, more's the pity. I have been meaning to make them for ages, so was pleased to find this recipe. Although the writer said she left out the nuts and added more raisins, I used both - 1 cup of raisins, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts although I reckon pecans would be good too. We like it. Other people who have tried it here also like it. I shall definitely make it again.
Have been thinking of making up another blog tutorial for the block I taught at quilt group recently. It's very easy, and I am sure you would have fun trying it. Yesterday a few of the group members told me how much they enjoyed learning a new block and how much fun they have had making blocks since then. I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilts........I will feel like a proud parent when I see them!
On Friday I plucked up my courage in both hands, loaded it into a bag, and took it and myself off to the medical centre for my flu shot. There was music playing and even though it wasn't wonderful it wasn't as bad as the previous week's had been. The staff was fine too. I was very brave when the nurse stuck that huge needle into my arm. I haven't had an adverse reaction to the shot in past years but this time I did, my upper arm swelled up and the injection spot was quite red and sore. At least it is settling down now and shouldn't hurt if I lie on it in bed tonight. Nothing worse than trying to get comfortable in bed and rolling onto a sore spot, is there? It makes dropping off to sleep difficult, and I need my beauty sleep.

"Discretion in forming acquaintances.
While an acquaintance formed in a railway carriage or on a steamboat continues only during the trip, discretion should be used in making acquaintances. Ladies may, as has been stated, accept small courtesies and favors from strangers, but must check at once any attempt at unfamiliarity. On the other hand, no man who pretends to be a gentleman will attempt any familiarity. The practice of some young girls just entering into womanhood, of flirting with any young man they may chance to meet, either in a railway carriage or on a steamboat, indicates low breeding in the extreme. If, however, the journey is long, and especially if it be on a steamboat, a certain sociability may be allowed, and a married lady or a lady of middle age may use her privileges to make the journey an enjoyable one, for fellow passengers should always be sociable to each other."
Don't forget that advice, next time you should travel on a steamboat.
Enjoy your days!

If that is a Banksia it's the oddest looking one I've ever seen. How curious. You've got me intrigued now.
ReplyDeleteNanci from Quilting at The Cottage talked about butter tarts on her blog about a year ago and I made some. They are utterly delicious!
Hope you managed to get a decent nights sleep. Two words -Pain Killers!
Have a wonderful week Jennifer.
What an odd looking yet interesting plant/flower Jennifer. I love it when you share stuff like that - so different from what we have over here and fun to learn about. Sounds like such fun you had with the quilting group. It must be fun to be in a smaller town and be able to enjoy things like that, on a smaller and more intimate setting than a huge city would offer. I missed our local quilt show this year and felt sad about that. I do love to see what others do and to appreciate what they put into their work. Your butter tarts sound so delicious - I might have to find a recipe and try them. I'm thinking a good cup of coffee and a butter tart would make for a wonderful treat. I sure hope you do another tutorial - you do write directions so well and it's a joy to make what you teach, I would love to try the new block. Take care and much love your way!!
ReplyDelete