However I did make two shoe bags for a gift, isn't the fabric cute? Kiera-Oona sent it all the way from Canada. It's very fun girly fabric.
During the past week I plucked up my courage, loaded it into my purse and went shopping for undies. On our recent trip to Canberra I took advantage of being in a large city and bought a couple of new bras, because there isn't much choice here in the Small Smoke if one wants to be properly fitted rather than buying cheap stuff from a chain store and taking a guess at sizes. My heavens - it can be a very demoralising experience, can it not? If one is looking for a bra without underwire (because they can be uncomfortable to the point of pain) and without padding (because age, genetics and hormones have combined to make it unnecessary) there is very little choice. There is even less choice if one would like pretty fabric or lace that doesn't look like something my grandmother would have worn in 1956. And why, for goodness' sake, are they nearly all beige? I don't care how it's described, you can call it blush, or peach, or nude, or skintone........it's still beige.
I am not a beige person.
I am a lime green person. Or a turquoise person. Or an orange person, or a yellow person. Not beige.
I was overjoyed to find one style in a pretty embroidered white fabric, so I bought one and have ordered a couple more. While I don't go round flashing my undies to the world (the world is probably thankful for that) I like to know I am wearing pretty things underneath.
And it is now official: I have received word from the government to say I am an Olde Pharte. I have a card which says so. It arrived in today's mail.
Last weekend our town held its first ever inaugural premiere Choral Festival, and one of my choirs sang - a good time was had by all, and we were complimented on our singing. That choir is now preparing for the local eisteddfod later this month. At Monday night's choir practice a smaller choir was created to sing in one of the eisteddfod sections and I was honoured to be chosen for it. I'm not into competitive singing (or competitive anything......competition was beaten out of me as a child) but will go along with it, as it seems to be the norm here. The other choir is practising for its annual concert too, so things are quite musical here. It's all good fun.
We are now getting frost most mornings but the days have been lovely. However some rain would not go amiss, we are now watering plants we want to keep alive as nature has fallen down on the job. The other day we cut down a nandina bush and when the remaining bits of it have been chopped out of the ground that will be one less nandina.......yay! We have more unwanted plants to go, but go they will. The front garden needs to be opened up.
"Perfumes.
Perfumes, if used at all, should be used in the strictest moderation, and be of the most recherchè kind. Musk and patchouli should always be avoided, as, to many people of sensitive temperament, their odor is exceedingly disagreeable. Cologne water of the best quality is never offensive."

What a great laugh you have given me.... it is so true about the underwear... and I didn't know the government sent you a reminder that you are an Olde Pharte..... I love it.... oh I wish I could draw... an 'old pharte' in her lime green underwear singing whilst applying gentle spray of cologne .....
ReplyDeleteHugz
I can send you rain! I can almost say we are having frost. This is the worst spring in Ontario I've ever known.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the Olde Pharte club. It does have its benefits.
Oh and before I forget, I do love the bags you made. Beautiful fabric.
I agree that certain musks and patchouli can be a little overbearing. I go near anyone (or a perfume isle) where someone is wearing too much, my eyes water, and i sneese constantly for at least a few minutes. I think people in general need to realize that sometimes less is better. If I use pathchouli if at all, its in very minute quantities.
ReplyDeletealso forgot to mention. I have a length of lists on how to re-build or make bras from scratch, as well as underwear. In my case, I know I have a bra size larger than a DD, and a dinky ribcage compared to my cup size. I just cant afford 100$+ per bra.
ReplyDeleteI dont ever think of you as old and it may delight you to know I never thought of you as a beige person either.
ReplyDeleteBra shopping is one of the most demoralising experiences ever - I try to do it no more often than bi-yearly because it frequently reduces me to tears.
Lovely shoe bags too!
Beautiful bags! I have to admit I'm a fan of the beige/nude colored bra, simply because it can be worn under light colored clothing and not be seen. And I'm an Old Pharte too - had to love the wording on the card about being a respected member of the community! LOL
ReplyDeleteWonderful post Jenny, makes me acknowledge the "old pharte" in me too! I was just saying yesterday that I must go and get fitted at Sears which is the best place around here. Ok, I must admit, I'm a white and black person, but a pink or orange bra would be fun!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, lose the beige and go for fun colors, I totally agree. And you my dear are never an "old pharte", you are to much fun to ever be that. I love the post on perfume - I sure wish every one would read it and take that advice to heart. I recently had to buy some bras too, ugh, what a horrible task it is and why oh why are they all padded - I sure don't need anymore than what god gave me. Hugs!!
ReplyDelete