How is everyone this fine day?
I have been sewing, as you can see! Lots of different bright colours to make whirligig star blocks for my challenge quilt. Here are some more ready to be joined.
Still have one applique block to made for my group quilt, the next raffle quilt is to have both pieced (made mine already) and floral applique or embroidered blocks. Because I don't have an embroidery machine mine will be be machine appliqued because it's quicker than by hand. I will be glad to have it done. I have no idea which flower design I am going to do......
This week we had some rain, but as they say on the news more follow-up rain is needed. Still - I'm sure the gardens were thankful for what they received. We have a couple of things to be planted so hopefully they will go in the next day or so. This afternoon I noticed some pretty pink things in the front garden, I think they are Nerines. Nerine sounds like a woman's name from years gone by, doesn't it? Those old-fashioned flower names seem to be making a comeback, names like Rose, Lily, Daisy and Violet. My paternal grandmother was Florence, which is nearly a flowery name. She had a sister called Adelong (there is a town in New South Wales called Adelong), and one of her brothers was named Australia. Before Australia became one federated country in 1901 it was a collection of different states, although federation had been talked about for quite some time. As it drew closer some people became quite patriotic about many things including children's names, and Australia was not an uncommon name.
Several years ago I remember a friend telling me that when an elderly member of her family died his name was also found out to have been Australia. He was always called Ozzie, so it was generally thought by family and friends that his name was Oswald. But not so.
Makes you wonder what people will think about the current choice of names in a hundred years or so, doesn't it? To say nothing of the somewhat creative spellings that some children have to carry all their lives, just because their parents felt like being different.
"With some it is customary to name children after some renowned person, either living or dead. There are objections to this plan, however, for if the person be still living, he may commit some act which will bring opprobrium to his name, and so cause both the parent and child to be ashamed of bearing such a disgraced name. If the person after whom the child is named be dead, it may be that the child's character may be so entirely different from the person who formerly bore it, that the name shall be made a reproach or satire."
My parents chose my first name (so I was told) because they liked it, and my middle name - Grace - is after a cousin of my mother's who died young. But I am still here, and I hope I am graceful. Not disgraced.
Enjoy your days!
Oh, Jennifer, I adore the name Grace! Lucky you to have such a melodious name. Jennifer Grace!
ReplyDeleteYour new quilt looks lovely...can't wait to see it completed.
Always graceful!
ReplyDeleteAmen about the bras in your previous post - most frustraing isn't it...I too want pretty colours.
Once I was told the silliest thing in my local lingerie shop when I asked for a particular style I liked. "Oh, no that has been withdrawn it was much too popular and the rest of the line wasn't selling." What!
I love it when quilters design their own blocks / quilts / wall hangings. Go girl!
I love your quilt blocks! I like that the background fabric isn't just plain white. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.
ReplyDeletei dunno if you are Graceful, but you are Creative - that block is just too doggone cool for words!
ReplyDeletei was one of those mothers who wanted to be clever - our oldest is named after the lead singer of Jethro Tull, but no one in the States pronounced Ian correctly, so i spelled it Eyan ... the OB who signed his birth certificate told me i was making a grave mistake, that he would hate his name end up being called Johnny (his middle name is John, as was my father's middle name) - well, turns out the doctor was wrong - Eyan LIKES his name (even though my original purpose for the spelling has been thwarted - most people try to call him Evan, or Ryan ... oh well, i tried) ... i think he is just relieved that his father told me no, i could not name him Liberty Bell (he was born in '76 - the bicentennial year for America)
Hi Jennifer!! I LOVE that quilt block you designed and I love the colors of all the fabric in the first photo, it's going to be a beautiful quilt. I've never tried that style of block - perhaps you can do a tutorial for all your readers on it??? Is it easier than it looks to me?? You are so creative and I love seeing what you are up to. Oh and the Nerines - what a gorgeous flower. I'm going to see if we have anything like that here.
ReplyDelete