Following on the story of Lily May, I sent for an official copy of her marriage certificate during the week - but when it arrived it is for another Lily May Brown, one who is younger and has two parents, so I don't know any more about my aunt than I did this time last week. But I will try to keep digging; I don't consider that I wasted my money getting the wrong certificate because it has shown me where not to go. Some years ago my local library ran a very interesting course in genealogy, and one thing that the librarian running the course told us was that sometimes you pursue what you think is your family story only to find out that is not so. As she said that can be a good thing, because it stops you from pursuing a wrong path any further.
By a coincidence, that librarian and I turned out to be third cousins......our great-grandparents were brother and sister. How strange is that? We even have the same first name.

Next weekend one of my quilt groups is bring a tutor from The Big Smoke for a weekend workshop and I honestly don't know how I will go......it's a more arty project than I normally tackle, I don't have an arty bone in my body......I'm fine cutting out fabrics and sewing them together again, whether for clothing or quilts.....but I'm not arty. Ah well, if it doesn't work out the cats will have a fancy bed. If it works out, the world may see a picture - if there are no pictures, then don't ask.
The radio has started a program of music from movies in which Ginger Rogers danced, such fun! You can probably hear me singing along wherever you are. Last week was the centenary of Ginger's birth so the program is a wonderful tribute. Don't you just love those gorgeous floaty frocks she wore, all chiffon and feathers? Apparently Fred Astaire's will stipulated that no movie should ever be made about him, that's fine for him but what about Ginger? They made so many movies together that it would be very difficult to make one about her without Fred being in it somewhere.......so, no Ginger movie.
The lurgy has departed again and we hope it will stay away this time. We both had to miss out on a night out we had been looking forward to, but never mind, there will be other nights. Early in the week friends from Canberra came to visit and we had a great time with them; just as well they didn't come a week earlier.
"Less formal invitations.
Invitations of a less formal character are sent for charades, private theatricals, and for archery, croquet, sailing and garden parties; but, however informal the invitation (except only when a visiting card is used), on no account neglect to give immediate attention to it, by sending a reply, for any want of courtesy in this respect is unpardonable."
Keep that sage advice in mind next time you receive an invitation to private theatricals or croquet.
Enjoy your days!

Well I'm pleased to hear you're feeling better.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about the genealogical tangle. You can cross that person off your list now and move onto something else to try and find your elusive ancestor. Genealogy is a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle.
Have fun at your workshop. I often forget that these things are supposed to be fun and about having a taste of something different. If it turns into a cat bed so be it. It's only fabric !
Yes, or a game of charades also....oh my, when life was so much simpler! Love your snow picture...yeah, in Ohio, that wouldn't be too much at all. We are having a lot of heat, but I'm not complaining, because I hate having the frigid cold and snow.
ReplyDeleteI love your snow picture. I didn't know you even got snow where you're at. And it's just the right amount to enjoy if you ask me. Sounds like you're having a cold winter while parts of my country is having a horribly hot summer. Usually we have temps in the 100's in July and on the west coast we've been having a strange summer in that it's only been in the high 80's to low 90's, I'm not complaining, a nice summer if you ask me. I'm glad you will continue on to find out more about Lily May, how wild was it that the librarian was a cousin. That is so cool. Thanks for all your well wishes while I was in Spokane and having surgery. Sorry I didn't respond, email was giving me fits like you can't believe. Big Hugs!!
ReplyDeleteif you have to move it in anyway (sweep or shovel or blow or plow) it counts as snow.
ReplyDeletei cannot look at your inspired pinwheel quilt and think that you are not artistic, so i'm not buying what you are selling!
i suppose i should have replied to the private theatrical invitation, but Those People are always acting like Drama Queens...
Jennifer..... loved reading about your quest for information on Lily May. Please keep us posted on your search.
ReplyDeleteAm enjoying your photo of the "snow"..... please send me some.... it's 10:30 p.m. here in Oklahoma and the temperature is 94º outside. We have been suffering from temperatures in the 3 digits for over 2 weeks and no relief in sight. Am told this is typical weather for August here.... but it's just July.
Hugs....
Laughing at your "snow" photo. I agree, that unless you shovel it, it's not called snow. You Aussies...honestly are too funny.
ReplyDeleteLily May is going to be found. Love the story and there you are with a cousin even if it's third...I am not complaining of the hottest weather in a decade...it's summer, wahoo!
Hey .... snow is snow! Loved seeing that photo!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you are feeling better.
Genealogy is such fun/frustrating and it truly is a small world.