.......how far we can see from our front verandah, on a clear day. Judging by the weather radar when it's raining and how far away the showers are, we estimate that those hills in the far distance would be somewhere between 20 and 30 kilometres away. That's approximately 12 to 18 miles, but it could be further. Last week's rainy day pic is what we can see during heavy rain........not much really, except a white mist over the top of Rose-the-neighbour's house with its green striped blinds.
My parents' house here had a lovely view across the town to the hills in the south-east, and when we were looking for a house to buy the requirement at the top of my list was "a view of hills"......and I have it, even though this is looking south-west-ish rather than south-east. And as we live part-way up a hill there is more hill behind us, so lots of hills here. That makes me happy, because I need hills in my life.Did you all have a lovely Valentine's Day? We took ourselves out to dinner and had a fabulous meal because 14th February is my husband's birthday - yes, he's a Valentine's Day baby. But his name is not Valentine, it's Kevin. There was once a Saint Kevin, it seems, and his feast day is 3rd June. Perhaps we should celebrate then, too. I always enjoy a meal I haven't had to cook. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind cooking.......but after more than 40 years of being a domestic goddess in one form or another, the novelty has worn off.
You should all be proud of me, because this week I put up my hand to be newsletter editor for the craft group at our local craft centre. It will be a bit of a learning curve, but after having a blog for a few years hopefully it won't be too difficult. As I said at the meeting, I can do a good line in bull dust. Except I didn't say dust. I said the other word that starts with sh and ends with it.
According to this morning's local paper we are having the coolest mildest summer since records began, over 100 years ago. Today is warmer than it has been for a couple of weeks, but it's still not as hot as last summer was. There is a large deciduous tree which we drive past on our way into town - and during the week I noticed that it's changing into its autumn clothes! So is the it's-either-Virgina-creeper-or-ornamental-grape growing on the wire fence of the local football ground, and so is the we-think-it's-an-apricot-tree in our backyard. Perhaps it's because we are in for an early autumn - it's certainly not for lack of rain. Considering we should still have at least 6-8 weeks of summer left, those leaves are changing quite early.
Today is a day for cutting out fabric, there are a couple of monthly block obligations to be done and there are more Bears Paw blocks being cut out. There's no scheme in mind for them so far, it's just the fun of playing with lovely leafy prints and my favourite autumn colours. When that's done, the skirt from the fabric shown in the last post will be cut out. I don't know about the rest of you but I find cutting out very tedious, wonder why that is? I start with good intentions then drift off into doing something else.......meanwhile the fabric is still sitting partly cut.......my neck, shoulders and upper back give me problems sometimes, standing with bent head for long periods of time does them no favours so I keep having breaks. Like this present blogging and coffee break. Then I don't always get back to cutting. But I have promised myself that I will, because I want to make that skirt.
"Trifling with a lady.
A man should never make a declaration in a jesting manner. It is most unfair to a lady. He has no right to trifle with her feelings for mere sport, nor has he a right to hide his own meaning under the guise of a jest."
Something to ponder on for Valentine's Day next year while accompanied by beautiful red roses such as those in my blog header, cut in our garden one day last summer when their flowers were bowed down by rain.
Enjoy your days!

I also love to have a view of the hills... my neighbours trees are rapidly encroaching!! you will be wonderful as a newsletter editor... well done for volunteering. I am taking a break from trimming back half square triangles I have joined.... sigh.... the things we do...
ReplyDeleteHugz
No hills where I live, so maybe that is why I am in such awe of them when we travel. We live on the Canadian Shield, flat and lots of trees. My husband raised my cutting table so less strain on the back but I agree the neck takes a beating.
ReplyDeleteI think we are quite alike...putting our hands up for things.....Still someone has to.
ReplyDeleteI think it is really important to move around and stretch and change position whatever one is doing. I have my ironing board in the next room when sewing so for me I get quite a bit of moving around when sewing or cutting out. The same applies in the garden. Move stretch change position.
( I'm not too keen on cutting out either. )
I live in a Hills suburb so I get to see lots of trees and have hills as a view to my East. Im a hills gal for sure.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Kevin. I always thought it would be lovely to have a baby on Valentines day!
Your view is lovely. I'm determined that if we ever move, our house will have a view.
ReplyDeleteI never thought of Australia as being a big rose place. Shows how much I knew.
Oh good grief, that horrid word verification. Not sure I can guess it. I might be better if I were a robot. Here goes.
I can see why you love your view! I have to remind myself when I'm skiing to look up and to take in the view :-)
ReplyDeleteHello from Idaho,
Judy