Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wet, wet, and more wet

It's been raining here.....in fact, we've had a flood.  Not us personally, but the river which flows through our town overflowed its banks the other day -  this week we have had so much rain that a new record has been set.  The previous record of the most rainfall in a single day stood for 136 years but was broken this week.  Schools were closed and children sent home, as roads were cut.

Our back yard was sodden, the bird bath overflowed....didn't even see many birds using it, although a group of hardy Noisy Miners braved the rain one day for a dip.
 The clouds were so low that our view over the back fence almost disappeared.
In fact, the view from the front verandah did disappear!  Instead of being able to see for miles and miles across the valley as we usually can, we could see the house across the road.......and nothing but a white mist beyond it.  Summer disappeared, and we were back to wearing warm clothes for a couple of days; in fact, summer this year has been unusually mild.  Not that I am complaining.

Smaller towns a few hours north-west from here have been suffering the worst floods for over 60 years, there is so much water it has become a health hazard because the local sewage systems aren't working as they should.  Many people have had to be evacuated from their homes and we can't begin to imagine the horrible smelly mess they will face when they are allowed to return home.

We feel lucky to be here in our warm dry house on the hill.  It's been a good week to stay indoors and read, and sew, and just keep out of the rain.  I think the cats have also broken records for the amount of time spent sleeping, because it wasn't even worth looking out of the windows.  Although Bianca did get excited one day when the wind blew a leaf on the path just outside the floor-length window........she woke up for a second or two before settling down again.

Last year's workshop quilt is being worked on, it's now more than half-quilted.  It is not going to defeat me.  There are other projects I would far rather be working on but I am not letting myself go near them until this is done, although I did break out the other week when I assembled the pinwheel quilt. It's spread out on the spare bed, so when I want some pretty blue and yellow pinwheel goodness I have only to walk in there and admire it.

"If a gentleman is walking with two ladies in a rain storm, and there is but one umbrella, he should give it to his companions and walk outside.  Nothing can be more absurd than to see a gentleman walking between two ladies holding an umbrella which perfectly protects himself, but half-deluges his companions with its dripping streams."

This week the main street was a sea of bobbing umbrellas, although a few hardy souls braved the rain with no protective covering.  Mostly men.  Women seem to have more sense than to go out in heavy rain with no umbrella or at the very least, a coat.

Enjoy your days!

9 comments:

  1. The rain is crazy... I do so feel for people and the continual wet and flooding going on... can't be easy for them all..... especially since they seem to think there is more on the way...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. We do love some rain but gosh, not too much. I would be sneaking in and looking over that blue and yellow goodness, too. It's a nice treat for yourself after your current effort. I think you have this planned out perfectly. BTW, I like the fabrics for the inner and outer borders. (oh, and I don't own but one itty bitty umbrella which is near useless which matters less and less with the way the planet is these days…)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the news last week they were showing the flooding down under. I can't recall our area ever getting anything like that. I feel so sorry for people when Mother Nature's wrath rears her ugly head.
    Our young lady has been indoors all winter. She does not even go near the door, so I can certainly understand Binky and Bianca curling up on nasty days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for the people who are having to deal with flooding. Your yard looks so inviting and green! Thanks for sharing the info about gentlemen and umbrellas :-)
    Enjoy your weekend,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im glad to hear you haven’t been seriously personally affected by the flooding Jennifer. While we haven’t had that sort of rain I may need floaties if the rain we have had overnight (and that is still bucketing down outside ) doesn’t stop soon. Naturally I didn’t know it was going to rain and spent some of yesterday doing my annual garden watering.

    I constantly forget my umbrella...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay safe, Jennifer. Being on a hill means you should be ok. Rain is good for the farms but miserable for the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks so beautifully green and lush with all that rain! I'm glad you're on a hill and hopefully not in danger of any blooding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a soggy mess you all are faced with. I hope it stops soon so that the flooding stops. I'm glad that you are safe and sound up on the hill and I hope your beautiful views come back soon. Makes me wonder about our summer if your summer is so mild and wet. Happy quilting, you're a better woman than I to stick to the one quilt, I would have trouble with focus on it. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been that woman, dripped upon.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!