Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

A glimpse of the start of the new jacket

So far the back is finished, and one front is coming along very well.  This picture was taken yesterday when the left front had only been cast on and had one row done, since then it has grown by several inches.  It's a very quick knit; fluffy mohair blend yarn on big needles.  Hopefully the pic shows the colours, it is very autumn-y....black, gold, green, purple, yellow, even a touch of coral pink, all blend together beautifully.
Later this month we will be heading off to Canberra for our annual visit so that means more car travel, which means more knitting time.  The National Folk Festival is held in Canberra at Easter and has become a fixture on our calendar, and as our older son moved there a year ago it will be lovely to also spend a little time with him.  We have other friends living there so we can catch up with them too.  For quite a  few years Canberra was at the top of our list when we were deciding where we wanted to retire but as it grows bigger it is becoming less affordable, and it is getting more of a big city feel - we wanted to live in a country town.  If Sydney is the Big Smoke, and this town is the Small Smoke, then Canberra is the Medium Smoke becoming more smokey with every passing year.

The plans for the trip to Canada later in the year are progressing nicely.  We have our flights sorted.....my gosh it's such a long way from here, but then it's a long way from Australia to just about anywhere, really.....now we are looking at travel insurance.  Some people think it's all right to travel without it, nothing will happen to them they think, it's expensive they say, but realistically - if you can't afford travel insurance, then you can't afford to travel.  On our last visit to Canada I had the misfortune to fall and break my arm and we were not one cent out of pocket; all our expenses were covered.  Unfortunately there's no payment for pain and suffering, to say nothing of inconvenience....but all was well, in the end.  Eventually.  It was just a bit boring for a while, being unable to do much; we really need our hands, don't we?

The new skirt is finally being made.  Because it is lined that means making two skirts, the lining is done, hemmed and all, now the outer skirt is being hemmed then they can be joined at the band.  It is much easier to hem one layer at a time than wrestle with two layers.  Over the years I have made enough garments to be able to use my initiative when it comes to assembly, and just because the instructions say the hem is the final step doesn't mean that is the way it has to be.  My first garment (not counting the ones reluctantly made at school) was made when I was 18; self-taught though I was I enjoyed the process, and that was the first of goodness knows how many things I have made over the years.  I make quilts as well as garments and don't describe myself as a  "sewer" (heaven forbid) or "sewist" (which is a clumsy word), but have decided the old term "sempster" is a good one.  So I shall call myself a sempster.  One who sews seams.

The Plan is that the skirt will be worn to dinner tomorrow night, it's our anniversary.....36 years with the same bloke......if we can stick it out for another four years I can get a ruby.  Nice.  So far the odds are looking good.

"The wedding ring.
All churches at present use the ring, and vary the sentiment of its adoption to suit the customs and ideas of their own rites.  A jewelled ring has been for many years the sign and symbol of betrothal, but at present a plain gold circlet, with the date of the engagement inscribed within, is generally preferred.  The wedding ring, a plain hoop of gold, is used at the church.  A jewelled ring is placed upon her hand by the groom on the way home from the church, or as soon after the service as is convenient.  It stands guard over its precious fellow, and is a confirmation of the first promise."

Rings have great symbolism, don't they?  Apparently the circle signifies something unending, which is why a ring has become such an important part of the wedding ceremony.

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. The yarn looks so soft, the sweater will be perfect for your fall trip to Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary to you and your bloke. So good to hear the plans are progressing. We don't travel without insurance, especially to the USA, which is as much out of the country as we do. Just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new jacket - the yarn look so soft and comfy. I'm with you on travel insurance, you just never know and travel is expensive, so better safe than sorry!! Happy Anniversary, hope you have a fabulous time out. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary Jennifer and Kevin.

    Planning a trip is a lot of fun. I love the anticipation of going away. And yes I'm organising insurance for our trip later this year too.

    Love the colours in the knitting project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary, the knitting looks good how lucky are you to be able to knit in the car.
    Good move getting travel insurance, I have done so every time I traveled overseas and not had to use it but just to have it there is a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you and K a very happy anniversary!!

    That sweater will be perfect over here and I look forward to seeing it in person!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!