Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

It's good to go away but......

it's even better to come home.

We had a lovely time at the folk festival - catching up with friends some of whom we haven't seen since last year, hearing some great music, and on my part joining in some good singing sessions.  Some of the overseas performers we saw were 'Dry Bones' from Manitoba, Canada, and Riley Baugaus and Kurt Sutphin from North Carolina, as well as local performers.  There were other great performers from overseas and within Australia too.....deciding which ones to see was a difficult decision!  Some pics were taken, but they won't be shown because I don't have the permission of the people in the pics to do so.

We enjoyed spending time with our older son, and with friends who also live in Canberra.  One of my favourite coffee roasters has a shop not far from the festival, so of course a visit there was part of the trip and some beans have come home with us.

A town where we stopped overnight is Cowra - one of its attractions is the Japanese Garden.  It was late afternoon, so shadows were getting longer.
 As you can see, it's on a hill.
 I like the juxtaposition of imported exotic plants in the foreground, and native eucalypt trees beyond.  Most of the plantings were exotics, although some natives were used.
We don't know if the smoke was from burning off surplus growth, or if it was a bushfire.  It was a long way off, but we had extensive views from that hill.

Because it's now autumn I was hoping for some colour in the garden from the many imported trees - Australian trees as a rule aren't deciduous and don't change colour - but most of the plantings are evergreens, with lots of conifers shaped to represent rocks.  However, it was still very pretty.

Having house sitters was a great success.  We came home to a home-cooked lunch, a spotlessly clean house, a tidy garden, and two very relaxed cats.  Because it was our first time using the service we were a bit apprehensive, but such a good experience has given us confidence to do it again.  It was worth it to have Binky happy - last time we went away for two weeks and had the cats in a boarding cattery, it took her a further week to adjust to being back home.  In that week she was very stressed and unhappy.  As were we.

So now we can get on with planning the trip to Canada in October!

Yesterday was raining and rather cool, so we did something we hadn't done for a long time - we went to a movie; we saw "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" and really enjoyed it.  It's about a group of people from England who, after retirement, decide to move to India to live.  Because it's about older folks there are a few sad moments, but overall it's a really hopeful movie.......such a change to see a movie that doesn't depend on action and special effects, but one that has a realistic story about believable people.  And with no sex scenes.  Am I alone in thinking that sex scenes, which seem to have become more prevalent in movies, aren't really all that interesting to watch?  All that heavy breathing and slobbering in soft focus........some activities are not spectator sports, are they?

"Public mention of private matters.
Do not parade merely private matters before a public or mixed assembly or to acquaintances.  If strangers really wish to become informed about you or your affairs, they will find the means to gratify their curiosity without your advising them gratuitously.  Besides, personal and family affairs, no matter how interesting they may be to the parties immediately concerned, are generally of little moment to outsiders.  Still less will the well-bred person inquire into or narrate the private affairs of any other family or individual."

Don't you think that should apply to sex scenes in movies too?  We can only hope.......

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back.. adn glad you had a good time and all is well back at home... lovely pictures of the Japanese garden... there is one here and it is always such a peaceful place to be... yes, I do agree about the sex scenes.... not necessary... it's like so much swearing..
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back. You have been missed. After reading what Binky went through I'm now a bit apprehensive about leaving Misty with our vet when we go away in a couple of weeks. Ah well we really have no choice. Its that or I'll have to train her to open her cans of cat food.
    Movies? I tend to stay away from them. Too much cursing, too much sex, too much violence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to have you back, Jennifer. Interesting post, I enjoyed the pictures of the Japanese Gardens. Spring has certainly arrived in full force here, we'll try to save some of this nice weather for your visit to Canada in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Jennifer.

    I had a conversation with someone just yesterday about how much they show in movies and on TV these days.

    Glad to hear the house sitter experience was a good one for you . Maybe I should look into that for my trip in September!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Home Jennifer. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and the pics of the area are gorgeous. Glad to hear the kitties did well, they do so much better in their own environment, don't they. And a lunch ready for your return, now that's service. Lots been happening here - you'll have to read my blog when you have time, it's been a tumultous few weeks. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wombat!
    I'm glad you came home to a clean and happy house.
    Lovely garden there.
    I haven't seen that movie yet, been meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I'm loving these photos of the Japanese garden. What a total trip to find this in Canada of all places. I'm amazed. I'm so happy you were able to travel and see your son (and get some coffee bean, too!!!)

    Mostly I'm thrilled your house sitter worked out though. That's fantastic news. I'm taking a trip and I have a sitter as well. I hope things go as well for us!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!