Several years ago these wombat quilt blocks were made for me by my "Secret Angel" Cathy in an internet swap - Cathy sent me one block each month, for the six months duration of the swap. She even sent a label for the back of the quilt, with the final block! Full of enthusiasm I decided to use Attic Windows as the setting, and was quite pleased with them......until the outer border was added.
The dandelion print didn't work, because it was too pale and pretty for the strong dark colours used in the blocks and sashings. Every now and then I would take it out of the cupboard and ponder deeply on a solution, which always seemed to evade me......then one day I decided to remove the offending border, went shopping for fabric, and replaced it with a dark brown subtly striped fabric.Now the quilt is darker than it was, but looks so much better. The fabric bought for the backing is a grassy print in green and brown.....the right brown. It will be quilted this year using a dark brown variegated cotton Aurifil thread, which is also the right brown. The wombat design is from a book by Australian quilter Margaret Rolfe.
You know, I never thought I would make a brown quilt. In the 70s I had my fill (and many other people's fill too) of brown. But this quilt looks just right with its brown fabrics. And after all brown is the colour of chocolate....and coffee......
The following paragraph is a post I wrote a few years ago - rather than link to it I will post it again.
Today Australia and New Zealand are celebrating, if that is the right word, ANZAC Day. It's the day when we remember the sacrifices of those who fought in wars for our country. My father was stationed in Papua New Guinea in WWII (as we found out a few years ago, he was in the War Graves unit) and never, never, ever spoke of his experiences - he was only 25YO when the war ended and it affected him profoundly. Consequently it affected all of us; my mother, my brothers and me. He was not a happy man, he was a distant, sometimes abusive, father who walked out one day and never contacted any of us ever again; we found out he had died many years after it happened. War doesn't only take people's lives....it takes away their souls too.
On a less gloomy note, our new neighbour saw an echidna just outside his back fence the other day! We have been hear just on two years now and not seen one yet. The neighbour on the other side has seen them too. They are cute little animals....so long as one keeps one's distance, because those spines are sharp.
If those echidnas have any sense they will find somewhere out of the wind today, because it is quite cold. Sunny with a bright blue sky, but a cold cold wind. Yesterday we bought two new cat beds to put in front of the fire during winter; both cats have tried out both beds, and they have been given the kitty seal of approval. We can see the beds being popular when the fire is alight, which to judge by today's wind won't be long.
"Chapped hands.
As cold weather is the usual cause of chapped hands, so the winter season brings with it a cure for them. A thorough washing in snow and soap will cure the worst case of chapped hands, and leave them beautifully soft."
Somehow washing chapped hands in snow doesn't seem the right remedy....does it? Winters here are not cold enough for snow, so I won't be able to put it to the test.
Enjoy your days!


I hope you are having ANZAC biscuits today Jennifer. A Australian friend makes them and they are so good.
ReplyDeleteLove your brown. It froms your little wombats perfectly.
wow what a difference changing that fabric has made... I do like what you have done.... war is not good for people... it's hard to describe what I felt reading about your father... but it made a knot in me... cold and my fingers are getting chapped quickly.... no snow though!!
ReplyDeleteHugz
Oh these wombats are just too cute. Adorable. I love them and I love love love brown. It's just a great color. I must have been too young to get burned out on brown. I think I was like 0-10 being born in dec. of '69. hee.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, Happy ANZAC Day to you. My husband still doesn't talk much about the first Gulf War, he was there on the first day in 1991...I'm so sorry that your dad had that awful experience and that you and your family had to suffer as well. Please have a great day anyway...Patriotism never goes out of style, my friend!
ReplyDeleteYes that 2nd border draws the eye back into the focal point. Excellent.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing you story Jennifer.
It's rather astounding the difference the brown made. Good choice! This will be a cute quilt when finished, and so appropriate for you.
ReplyDeleteIt is really incredible what a difference that brown fabric made! Your little wombat quilt is fabulous!
ReplyDeleteIt feels like we're going to be bundled up for winter weather too!
Never ceases to amaze me how a simple change of fabric can make such a huge difference. Love the wombats an ever so Aussie look :)
ReplyDeleteI never cease to be amazed by how changing just one element on a quilt layout can change the whole tone and look of a quilt. The brown was the best choice. It looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteAlways good to put the personal touch to a quilt. It is hard to see in photos that the real life view is so much better.
ReplyDeleteSad about your father, it must have been horrific to be him...we didn't think of the effects of war back then, it was a personal thing.
I love reading your blogs, always get right to the end...chapped hands, need a lovely cream, cannot imagine putting them in snow to unchap them as it is the snow that caused it usually.