Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pretty flowers

A gorgeous arrangement of flowers sent by our older son for my birthday/Mother's Day.
 They really brighten up the house, as you can see.
Bless him - when he ordered them he told the florist "nothing pink" (he knows it's not my favourite colour) and I love these orange, red and purple of these flowers.  The tulips haven't finished opening but are very purple.  It's a great arrangement for autumn!

Yesterday the Monday night choir performed at a concert, they give two or three concerts a year.  It was well received, the audience enjoyed listening and we enjoyed performing.  Not sure when the next concert is to be but no doubt we will be told in due course.

The other day I was cutting borders for the quilt started recently and a little piece of elastic in my brain must have stretched too far and let go, because instead of lining up the fabric with the edge of my 6-1/2 inch ruler I lined one strip up with the half-inch mark and cut it six inches wide instead of six and a half inches.  Stupid stupid stupid.  This of course meant that unless I was prepared to cut a strip one inch wide and join it on, I didn't have enough fabric for all the borders.  However all was not lost as I had already decided to buy more of the border fabric to back the quilt, so I just bought a bit more.  It isn't really possible to have narrower borders as some of the pieced blocks are used in the borders.  Any leftovers, including that six inch wide strip, will end up in the stash.  Not that it needs any more contributions.....and I also have A Great Idea for the back which will entail piecing a strip of the fabrics used in the front.  Once this top is done it will take its place as number three in line waiting to be quilted.  The current challenge quilt will be number one, if ever it gets its borders done.

The grey pants which were having new elastic in their waistband probably should be done again as it wasn't pulled taut enough, they are a bit loose.  Not enough to fall down, just enough that I feel I need to keep hitching them up....which is a bit of a nuisance.  If I really feel inspired it will be done again but there are no guarantees.

We could really do with some rain, and fortunately some is forecast for the coming week.  The bird bath in our back yard is a very popular place lately and provides us with a great deal of entertainment.  We are seeing species of birds who haven't used it before, and some birds are quite territorial - they lose no time in letting others know they aren't welcome.  It can be very funny at times.  I'd love to get some pics for you but those birds move very quickly!

On 7th of this month we celebrated two years since moving out of the Big Smoke and into this house.  We are really glad we made the move, it's been a good one - we both feel very much at home here, even though the locals joke that you don't become a local until you have lived here for at least 20 years!  I was born here, moved away in my early 20s and never wanted to come back, but in 2005 spent a few days here digging into some family history.....and everyone I had contact with was so helpful and friendly, and so nice, that for the first time since leaving I thought that perhaps I could live here again.  So here we are.  As my family roots in the district go back to the 1870s.....I suppose I'm a local.

Our house in on land that during WWII was an army camp.  My father was one of the soldiers stationed here, he was from Melbourne, nearly 2,000 kms south and my mother was a local girl.  They met at a dance, although it seems my father wasn't much of a dancer, married a few years later and had three children.  It wasn't a happy marriage and after 25 years he left and went interstate, but my mother lived in this town all her life.  When I was growing up the area where our street is now was all bush, and some of the old army buildings not far from here were used for social housing - they are gone now.  Never thought, all those years ago, that I would be living here.

"Christian names.
There is a class of persons who, from ignorance of the customs of good society, or from carelessness, speak of persons by their Christian names, who are neither relations nor intimate friends.  This is a familiarity which, outside of the family circle, and beyond friends of the closest intimacy, is never indulged in by the well-bred."

Oh my, haven't times changed?  We don't have Christian names these days, we have given names.....and these are used on first acquaintance by many people, whether we like it or not.  I don't always.

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. It's interesting when we come full circle in our lives.
    Your flowers are beautiful; I love the lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers are so beautiful and so great for the fall season underway. Isn't it funny how we long to get away from where we are born and when we are older it is suddenly a great place to live. I had wanted to escape my small town for a bigger city, and yet never did and now that I'm older and having traveled so much I appreciate the smallness of it and not having to fight traffic. It is certainly larger than when I was a kid, but still small enough. Can't wait to see your quilt - I've done what you did before and boy did I kick myself for it. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely flowers.. the purple tulips give a real spark to them.... two years back in your old home area... from what you write it sounds like it was a good move
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely flowers-your son has good taste! It's interesting how life turns out sometimes, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers Jennifer.

    Who would have thought all those years ago you would have ended up living in the very spot your father spent time as a young man. Life is full of surprises.

    I still always ask people if I can call them by their first name in work situations. It’s just the polite thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't get more local than that!
    Your flowers look wonderful. Any perfume?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Happy Birthday (a bit late...)! The flowers are "loverly"! It's nice to have considerate sons.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!