Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Some results from last weekend's workshop

As you can see, last weekend I had fun slicing and dicing and chopping and sewing fabrics - and these blocks are the result.
 Don't you just love the colours?  Very autumn....now there's a surprise, yes?
Unfortunately due to circumstances which won't be related here I was unable to attend the workshop on Saturday, so my weekend was only one day long.  The tutor helped me by cutting and pressing for which I was very grateful, because otherwise I would have been way behind everyone else.  All the blocks are now assembled and I need to cut fabrics for the borders, but that can wait until I repair the pants which need their elastic replaced.

Are all you mothers having a nice time on Mother's Day?  I know it's not Mother's Day all round the world today but it is in Australia.  When I was young it had become traditional to wear a white flower on Mother's Day, I wonder if that is still done?  In Australia the white flower was nearly always a chrysanthemum, because they are in flower at this time of year.  Then chrysanthemums seemed to become unfashionable for a while.  I like them, especially the lovely bronze ones.  And the lime green ones, because I quite like green.

Today we really know that winter is on the way, in fact if you stood outside in the cold wind you would say it's already here.  It's not.....quite.......warm.  The sunshine is lovely, the sky is clear and bright blue, but ooh - that wind.

Seems a lot of you agreed with my ravings a recent post about ageing.  Much is made of girls and young women and their body image problems, but what about older women?  Aren't we allowed to be unhappy with ourselves?  Are we supposed to be resigned to who and what we are, and to rejoice in it, and to celebrate every grey hair and wrinkle?  Resigned.....yes.  Rejoicing....no, not at all.  And as for celebrating grey hair and wrinkles, forget it.  They have become part of me by circumstance but they don't define me.

We enjoyed a nice dinner out for my birthday and the restaurant even gave me a bottle of champagne to bring home, bubbles, yay! So that will be drunk with tonight's Mother's Day dinner which will feature something along the lines of a frittata with eggs, silver beet leaves, fetta cheese and perhaps sweet potato - details to be worked out later.  As usual I will be cooking it myself because Kevin doesn't know what is in my head.  He can cook, but his cooking is unimaginative if he doesn't have a recipe to follow.

When I become queen I will never again make decisions about what to eat, because I will have someone to do it for me.  I don't mind cooking but after so many years (over forty.....erk) the novelty has well and truly worn off making the daily decision on What To Have For Dinner Tonight.  I really wouldn't care if I never had to make that decision ever in my life again.  I am over it.

"It is of the highest importance that all persons should conduct themselves with the strictest regard to good breeding, even in the privacy of their own home, when at table; a neglect of such observances will render one stiff and awkward in society.  There are so many little points to be observed, that unless a person is habitually accustomed to observe them, he unconsciously commits some error, or will appear awkward and constrained upon occasions when it is important to be fully at ease.  To be thoroughly at ease at such times is only acquired by the habitual practice of good manners at the table, and is the result of proper home training."

Even though we will be dining a deux this evening we will certainly observe all the little points we can.

Enjoy your days!



10 comments:

  1. There are lots of decisions I would be happy to never have to make again and dinner is bit one of them !

    Love what you did with your blocks. The colours are fantastic.

    So glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how those blocks have been placed to make another interesting blocks ... and awesome colours... sorry you had to miss a day and hope that things are sorted there.... the cold wind made it's way to us late this afternoon.... brrr...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt looks like your header photos, with the fall colours. Lovely.
    I'm with you on the deciding-what's-for-dinner thing, and then preparing it so it suits everyone's tastes.
    Happy belated birthday wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors in your quilt are just beautiful and make me think of leaves changing. The quilt itself is gorgeous. I love the design. I hope you have/had a very nice and relaxing Mothers Day my dear friend. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree more about food. Beans every day would do me fine.

    Happy belated birthday to you and your grey hairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arent those colours so Autumn :) they remind me of Autumn festival in Ballan not sure why but they just do hahahah. Id be happy with tomato soup with toasted cheese sandwiches everynight for dinner :) if only hahah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work Jennifer. I love the colours you chose. Ahhhhhh, dinner along with lunch the bane of my exsistence. We now have a rule, I choose one day, Karl chooses the next and every once in awhile, we choose to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way the blocks turned out - it's a beautiful colour combination!

    I have a simple solution to the "what's for dinner?" dilemma - a husband who cooks! Working evenings was the best decision I ever made, because he had to learn to cook or starve. When we both worked, we alternated but now he does almost all of it. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so very bad about blog reading lately...well, and blog posting for that matter also!! Just a belated Happy Birthday, belated Mother's Day, (yes, we celebrate it also on the 2nd Sunday of May every year) and I love your blocks from your workshop you took! It is the weekend and I hope you have a lovely one...I have a birthday on the 19th...a big one...can anyone say Medicare??? Yikes, how did I get that old?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful colors in your quilt! Your post on aging made me think of a couple that I saw a few years ago who must have been in their late 70's. They were skiing together, a bit stiffly perhaps, but they both were out there on the slopes, having a grand time. That's how I want to be when I'm that age-wearing bright colors and still doing some low level flying on the ski slopes ;-) I think you really are only as old as you feel....

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!