Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Workshop quilt top is finished

Because it is a bit long to photograph inside, it was hung outside on the wash line.  I like the effect of light shining through.......looks like a stained glass window.
There was a little breeze, but not quite enough to make it flap about.  Now that this top is done it has taken its place in the "to be layered and quilted" queue......it is number three behind the yet-to-be-finished challenge quilt top and the wombat quilt.  Probably just as well it's not next, because I don't have a clue how to quilt it;  possibly something leafy, but beyond that I have no idea.

The jacket currently on the knitting needles is proceeding along very nicely, all pieces are made and the front bands are now in progress.  When it is done it will be a welcome addition to the wardrobe.  Pattern and yarn were bought at a craft show last year and there will be three full balls and possible part of a fourth left because I am short, so the pattern instruction length was much too long for me.  Never mind, the leftovers will make a pretty scarf.  It's a mohair blend so will be light and soft, and warm.

Yesterday morning brought some very welcome rain, and also brought some cold wintry weather - the cats have been very thankful for the fire, and so are we.  The promised (or threatened!) wind hasn't started blowing yet so all the lovely autumn trees around town still have some of their leaves left.  There is a large tree we pass on our way to town which is superb - on the northern side the leaves have already turned a beautiful bronze-red, while on the more sheltered side they are still orange-green.  I don't remember such beautiful colours when I lived here a thousand years ago, but perhaps I was too young and silly to notice them.

Dinner is preparing itself in the slow cooker, tonight's meal will be coq au vin - this is the weather for soups and stews, and what is coq au vin but a glorified chook stew?

"A knife should never, on any account, be put into the mouth.  Many people, even well-bred in other respects, seem to regard this as an unnecessary regulation; but when we consider that it is a rule of etiquette, and that its violation causes surprise and disgust to many people, it is wisest to observe it."

As I wouldn't want to surprise or disgust anyone I shall keep the knife well away from my mouth......but the chicken will be so tender, it probably won't even need a knife, a fork should be enough to cut it.

Enjoy your days!




6 comments:

  1. Oh how absolutely lovely that quilt is. I love the pattern and how some of the blocks go into the border. IT's just stunning. Sounds like winter is getting ahold of your area, thank goodness for a fireplace. Summer is sure trying to get on board over hear, but we've had terrible winds the past week so it's slow in coming. Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you have placed the blocks with some of the leaves falling out of the border.... I've also got a few tops int he pile for quilting... I find it hard deciding how to quilt most of the time ..... osso bucco was my slow cooker food this weekend..
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer - I really like this quilt - especially the way you flowed the blocks into the border. This is something I've done once or twice - I think it's a cool effect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt top is gorgeous!! Congrats on getting it done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is just breath taking, and dont you love cold days/nights with the fire crackling :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of your best! Truly. Love the colours and it does have a stain glass look.
    Manners once again doesn't offer what to do with something caught in the teeth....not the knife? Oh noooo!
    Always a good chuckle on the manners thing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!