Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Life has been getting away from me lately........

This is one of the new plants in our back garden, it's an Aussie native called Eremophilia Nivea from Western Australia.  Eremophilia plants are called emu bushes because emus eat the flowers and fertilise the seeds in their gut.  We have others too; red and yellow flowered ones will attract birds, while blue and pink ones will attract insects.  The insects in their turn probably attract birds too, and so the cycle goes on.......the foliage of this bush is a pale soft grey, almost white.  It is very pretty.  And tricky to photograph on a windy day.
 When we lived in the Big Smoke we had no luck growing cyclamens, so I am giving it a go here.  So far, so good.  Perhaps the drier inland climate will suit them better, they certainly didn't like the humidity.  We've started with this pretty cerise one which is waiting patiently to be potted.
The radio station is still going ahead, I have been sitting in with a couple of announcers watching and learning as they present their programs, and when we return from our holiday I will be trained in earnest.  Looking forward to that!

Ukulele group is also going along nicely.  We're getting a little advanced now, even trying some finger picking - those of us who are game to do so, anyway.  Some of the beginners haven't progressed past strumming yet, but they will.  Fortunately the pink uke was sitting on the other side of the room so I was spared being punched in the arm again.

Quilting on the challenge quilt has temporarily halted but will resume again today.  All the setting blocks are now done, the outside setting triangles are next.  Last weekend was quite busy and took on a life of its own, or the quilting would be much further along.  On Saturday a friend and I drove two and a half hours to a quilt show in a quite small town, and had a good time, then drove two and a half hours back home.  One of the few things I miss about living here compared to the city is the lack of quilt shows within, say, an hour's drive.

Sunday afternoon was taken up with a choir concert for a local fundraising group, our concert proper is on this Sunday so we gave a shorter program.  It was a good chance to iron out a few bugs.  I have become the choir percussionist because I play tambourine, drum, and rhythm clapping for this concert of African-American gospel and spiritual songs.  The Christmas concert will have to happen without me this year, because I will only be able to make two or three practices.

It is 27 days until we start our holiday.....that's less than four weeks, yay!  Not looking forward to the long flights, but it will be worth it when we arrive and see our son and his lovely girlfriend, and our Canadian friends, again.

"Premature declaration.
It is very injudicious, not to say presumptuous, for a gentleman to make a proposal to a young lady on too brief an acquaintance.  A lady who would accept a gentleman at first sight can hardly possess the discretion needed to make a good wife."

How long should a couple be acquainted, I wonder, before a suitable time has lapsed for a proposal?

Enjoy your days!

11 comments:

  1. Life is galloping away from me too, Jennifer - I can't keep up! Enjoyed your post, as always. As for the quote at the bottom, it took my husband 11 years to propose. Presumptuous he isn't!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cyclamens but they are only houseplants in my corner of the world.
    I don't know where my time goes, but it seems to disappear what with one thing or another going on.
    I started dating my husband in December and by the following September we were married. We both knew "this was the one." 47 years next week for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar (if not the same) emu bush.. they are lovely and good and tough in the garden... the month is going by so fast....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is quite hectic for me too! Great post and I hope that your plants grow for you. I have half a green thumb as I seem to have a 50/50 survival rate on my garden,haha.
    I've read stories about people who met during the second World War and they only knew each other briefly before being married. Then some of them went on to be married for 50+ years. I met my husband and knew he was the one :-)
    Enjoy your musical endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Potted cyclamen do well for me here outside. It has to be cool for them. I then put them after flowering into shadey areas in the garden where they have multiplied.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You've so much going on. But I do believe that is how we stay young!

    The African-American concert sounds very exciting and interesting. You've definitely many creative talents, including music. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Took me five years to be sure that my husband was the one. But on the other hand, I was only 17 at the start of those five years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool bush the "ere..." is. You have such a wide variety of interests and skills. I admire how you choose to live your life and spend your time. I'm so psyched about the vacay coming up. All good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With great pride I will show you my cyclamen when you come down - assuming it's still alive. The first one I've been able to grow in Sydney - it's on its second year and flowering again. I can only assume it's a particularly robust variety!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As they say, Time flies when you're having fun!! Oh who am I kidding - the older we get the faster time flies!! Sounds as if you are a busy lady. Not much longer and you'll be on your way to Canada, how exciting. I understand your feelings about the long flight. Flying is not my favorite mode of transportation, but it gets you there, so what the heck, right. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!