Been thinking of my family and friends in parts of Canada, the snow storms have been quite bad - worst for several years. Stay warm and safe!
Not much activity to report this week from the sewing room. The pants pattern is drafted and has been transferred to pattern tissue and cut, now need to cut out the trial fabric, a very bright red gingham with 1in squares. The large checks make it easy to check any fitting problems, and they can have lines drawn on them to match hips etc. They will never, ever be worn in public. Trust me on this.
But because I don't want you all to think that nothing ever gets done here, before we went to Canada I made two more leaf bowls which were needed for an exhibition at a local craft gallery. A gold one had previously been made and shown on the blog.
This glorious leaf fabric was a gift from Rose Marie a few years ago......
.....and this fabric was a good match for the other side
Some more of my stash of leaf fabrics, I'm not sure whether I like this side best..........
.......or this side.
After these were made they were put together as a trio with the gold bowl, and it has a much narrower zig-zag edging. Obviously it wasn't checked before going ahead with these two, as their edge stitching is much wider.....but it doesn't look too bad, for all that. When autumn eventually arrives, La Chateau des Wombats will have a head start on decor.
Speaking of decor, the small bathroom has finally been painted and is now dazzling white rather than the unfortunate yellow/orange sponged finish left by the previous owners. The small plastic mirrored cabinet has been removed and a large mirror ordered, it should be installed soon. The mirror had been screwed high on the wall, and I am short, so I could only see from my forehead up.....it was much too high for applying lippy, even standing on tippy toe......perhaps the previous Man Of The House was a tall bloke and put the mirror at a height to suit him. The ceramic tile in my wombat collection will go on the wall, I only ever managed to find one wombat tile.......surely there must be more than one......
"Etiquette of calls.
There are calls of ceremony, of condolence, of congratulation and of friendship. All but the latter are usually of short duration. The call of friendship is usually of less formality and may be of some length."
Calls, and calling cards, seem to have passed by the wayside, haven't they? Nowadays we are more likely to meet a friend at a café than make a more formal call to their home. When I was a child people still called on each other, because cafés hadn't yet been invented.
Enjoy your days!
Oh wow the leaf bowls. Those are gorgeous!! Great to read you're playing with the Uke Group. …and so fast with the pants pattern. Fantastic.
ReplyDeleteWhat an impressive tune you are learning on the Uke. I can't imagine the finger dexterity it requires as it's so much smaller than a guitar. You are a gifted musician and I'm sure you'll do it proud. How's the radio show preparation coming?? I can't wait to hear it sreaming online!! Love those bowls you made, how cleaver and they are so pretty. Hugs!!
ReplyDeleteJennifer, those bowls are lovely...I'm almost inspired to make some myself...notice I say Almost...have other things on the list right now and the leaf bowls need to go more toward the bottom than to the top of that list.
ReplyDeleteFunny you should mention calling and calling cards. I still have some left from our military officer days. And I recently came across the silver plate that sat near the door in our home for other officers to leave their own cards. Brings back some very fond memories for me and DH...I loved being a military wife. Now that we are retired from the Navy, few folks understand the life we led.
Am posting a blog post this week if it kills me! I promise!
Love the leaf bowls . Gorgeously made and so pretty!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea you played the ukulele? Any other hidden talents I dont know about?
I have an entire bathroom reno going on here this year ....
sounds like fun with the ukulele... and your bowls are lovely.. I'm sure I have seen them before? such snow o/s... you must be glad you missed that?
ReplyDeleteHugz
your falling leaves (in bowl form) are truly lovely - you know how i love falling leaves!!!
ReplyDeletei had to put a big, big wall mirror in Auntia's bathroom - she's vertically challenged, too...
I love the leaf bowls! What a neat idea and great choice on the fabrics. Enjoy your music. Are there any recordings of your group?
ReplyDeleteHello from Idaho,
Judy
Glad to hear that progress has been made in the bathroom. Now, I wouldn't have a problem with the mirror, but I can understand your frustration.
ReplyDeleteThe leaf bowls turned out great and I have some of that fabric as well. Gave a piece to you, kept a piece for me.
Have fun with your music.