Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Oh, the indignity.........

All my ancestors, as far as I have been able to ascertain, came from the British Isles, England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland and like many of my family I have the complexion to prove it.....pale, freckled skin and auburn hair (what's not grey, that is).  Last week my body and I attended the doctor for a skin check, something I hadn't done for some years because it is such an undignified procedure; one has to strip down to one's undies while said doctor peers closely at one's skin.  A couple of spots need to go back for a return visit and biopsy but that doesn't need to be for a while, thank goodness.  When the doctor - young, male - asked me if I was happy to take off my clothes so he could look at my skin I replied, "no I am not happy about it, I find the whole procedure very humiliating but am prepared to do it".......he thought that was hilarious.  I was merely speaking the truth.  Stripping is humiliating and undignified and cringe-making, and there will be more cringing because one of the spots to be biopsied (is there such a word?) is on my back under my bra strap.  Erk.  Cringe.......

On a much happier note the radio program seems to be going along well, next Sunday's will be a little green because it will be St Patrick's Day.  All together now........diddle-e-i-diddle-e-o.......diddly diddly........

A busy week coming up what with volunteering at the local gallery; attending a pattern drafting workshop where the hard sell may be tried, but it doesn't work on me; Thursday quilt group; Friday household stuff; Saturday evening we have seats for a play by the local theatre group, Sunday and Monday cleaning and packing ready to drive off on Tuesday for a couple of weeks.  We will return the first weekend in April.

The sewing room has been calling, and yesterday one of the projects bought last year in Canada was pulled out of the cupboard and its gorgeous batik fabrics drooled over.  Then I took the rotary cutter to them......sliced and diced......not all cut yet but it won't take long.  The pattern is "Leaf peeking" although my fabrics are different to those shown, and it was purchased at the Creativ Festival in Toronto from the very helpful ladies at Country Concessions quilt shop.  The sewing mojo has been a little absent lately so a new project is just what it needs to kick start it again, yes?  Especially something small and easily finished.  As autumn colours are appearing round town it seems a good time to make an autumn project.

But our autumn colours, pretty as they are, are nothing like these:
Taken in Bayfield, Ontario, last October.  Much more glorious than anything we see here.....and some Canadians we met wondered why we travelled to their country in autumn, rather than summer.

"It is rude to interrupt friends whom you meet in a shop before they have finished making their purchases, or to ask their attention to your own purchases.  It is rude to offer your opinion unasked, upon their judgement or taste, in the selection of goods."

Indeed.

Now it's time for some ukulele practice, then perhaps a piece or two of fabric may be cut, then early dinner before heading out to choir......sometimes I wonder how I ever found time to work, keep house and raise a family for all those years before I retired.

Enjoy your days!

11 comments:

  1. Now you have me humming and toe tapping ... there are commercials to visit Newfoundland and they use that ditty and I just love it ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a busy lady, but it sounds like you have a lot of fun things in the works and then a trip too. Sorry about the skin check, there is nothing worse than having to strip down and have everything looked at. Ugh, I feel for you my friend. Big Hugs and Safe Travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ha!!! i KNOW - my house was so much cleaner when i had four kids living in it than it is now - i guess i must have finally figured out that other things are more important ... that, and the fact that once i cleaned it, it stayed that way because everyone was gone all day and then too tired to make much of a mess when we all gathered back at the homestead...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate going anywhere I have to take clothes off for inspection. It must have something to do with being well past middle age because I dont recall feeling this way in my 20's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for having the skin check! It is on my list of "to do very soon." Along with eye check,maybe some scelrotheraphy etc etc. Let's blame the ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. seems so much happening... and no I don't like the strip checks either.... I was surprised to find a few things 'turning' colour... too early in autumn but the weather has been odd...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I get older I am less inhibited about showing my body in my underwear. Not my favourite thing to do but better than feet in the stirrups. Country Concessions is lovely quilt shop and was very close to where I used to live.
    What time is your radio show on and give me a link to the station. I would love to listen in if it is at a time when I might be awake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having the skin check is not fun, but it is so important!

    I can't wait to see your batiks project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you're so right about the skin check and having to sit there in the paper gown. Ugh.
    Enjoy your batiks project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, quite.

    Louisa, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!