Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Thank goodness that's done

The dreaded squish is finished and done with, and I decided I am not doing it again, I have taken my name off the list; I would only be eligible for one more free test anyway because of my age.  It wasn't great, was somewhat painful, and of course embarrassing and humiliating as always.  But what I really find confronting is the fact that the change room has disappeared.  When I first started having them back in the 90s one was shown into a waiting room, then ushered into a change room by one's self where one undressed from the waist up, replaced one's top, then went back into the waiting room until called.  Said waiting room also had magazines, a TV, and tea and coffee.  Gradually the amenities disappeared, and on my last Sydney mammogram four years ago the change room had also disappeared; one had to undress and dress in front of the technician.  Somewhat undignified I thought, but had to go along with it.  Two years ago for my first local test here there was still a change room.....but alas, last week it was back to undressing and dressing in the room with the machine and the technician.  Talk about stripping the last shred of dignity from a woman who already hates her aging body........

Never again.  I sent a comment on the breast screen website to the effect that I found the lack of a change room only added to the unpleasantness of the experience but, apart from the automated "we have received your comment" haven't yet heard from them and indeed will be surprised if I do.  As a friend said the other day, our generation is fairly modest.  Despite reports to the contrary we weren't all raging exhibitionists in our younger days, even though it was the 60s.

My cyclamen is flowering!  When we lived in Sydney I could never get them to grow, but last year I succumbed to a pretty cerise one thinking it would be showy for a short while then it would die.  It flowered, then died down as they do but didn't die completely, and recently I noticed it is flowering again. 
Isn't it pretty?  When this pic was taken it was sitting in its small pot inside the larger pot, but it has been repotted and now it lives in the striped pot.  It lives in our beer garden not far from the cerise zygocactus, and they are very cheery flowers during winter.

Yesterday I splurged and bought myself a new electronic gadget with which I can listen to music, and read books, and surf the web, and all other manner of wondrous pastimes.  It is a Samsung Galaxy and will be a very useful addition to our electronic gadgets.  Not that there are many, you know.......we still don't have smartphones, we are a couple of old dags.  Our phones are quite low tech.  

Not much to report from the sewing room, the engagement project is proceeding slowly (life has been very busy lately, what with shopping for the new electronic gadget and also for a new oven which should arrive in a few weeks) but is coming along nicely.  Uke practice is powering along and I can play the chords to "Hotel California" quite well.....all together now, 1 2 3 4, B minor strum strum strum, F sharp strum strum strum, A strum strum strum, E minor strum strum strum etc.......on a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair.......in ten days' time we will play it in public.

Last Friday a group of us from the Monday night choir sang for a local women's group and I was also asked to play uke and sing a couple of songs on my own, which were very well received.  It went well if I do say so meself, she says modestly.  We have been asked to sing for them again next month so perhaps I should learn some new songs; probably shouldn't inflict "Hotel California" on them.

Although this winter has been fairly mild the nights and mornings are cool, and while we have several frosty mornings the temperatures haven't dipped unbearably low.  Despite the sunny days it's quite cool in the shade, so the winter clothing choice of some locals makes me wonder......sweet young things wearing shorts and summery tops, with high woollen boots and thick scarves wrapped round their necks......little bare thighs blue from the cool breeze wending its way round corners.  

"Coughing, sneezing, etc.
Coughing, sneezing, clearing the throat, etc., if done at all, must be done as quietly as possible   Snuffing, hawking and expectorating must never be done in society. A sneeze can be checked by pressing the thumb or finger firmly across the bridge of the nose.  If not checked, the face should be buried in the handkerchief, during the act of sneezing, for obvious reasons."

As children, we were told "coughs and sneezes spread diseases".

Enjoy your days!

9 comments:

  1. We get privacy than that but I have probably had my last mammogram too.
    I am keeping away from the public to cough in private.......I hope for not too much longer.

    Well done with the entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jennifer, sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience of "no change room", I will be interested to see if they still exist here in Melb next week when I visit, please, please rethink your thoughts of "never again" we are so lucky in this country to have this service available & it does have a high success rate of early detection. On a happier note.....I live in outer Melb & successfully grow cyclamens in the garden, we have a cooler climate with frosty nights & I grow them under trees,they do die back in summer I also have some lovely minature ones that are bought in a punnet at the garden centre. Take care.....Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. As of last September we still had change rooms for our mammos, but who knows what will happen when our new hospital opens. I'm quite the opposite, I go faithfully every year for mine. Breast Cancer survivors tend to do that.
    My/our cyclamen is out in the garden for the summer. I hope Karl can bring it back when it's time. I don't possess a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plant is gorgeous, must be a better climate for them to grow and live and flower. That is horrible that you don't have a changing room. I couldn't strip in front of someone, yikes. At least around here we have changing rooms and cloth gowns to put on for some coverage. Sounds like the Uke playing is coming along nicely. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realise there was an end date to having the free mammo's - sorry to hear yours was so uncomfortable....
    the cyclamen looks great.... they are such cheerful flowers...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. No change room is just plain wrong. Good on you for addressing that by letting them know. Let us know what their response is if they get back to you.

    You are going to love your Galaxy. Mine lives in my hands pretty much permanently when Im not at work ...Must confess to being quite a gadget queen myself but even I dont like my smartphone. It makes and receives calls and that is about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Santa brought a Kindle to Auntia for christmas and she loooooves it - but i still don't want one - i would hurt myself trying to read a book made of hard plastic (i have enough trouble with hardbound books smacking me in the face when i doze off - ha ha ha!!!

    we had a DOWNPOUR yesterday evening - complete with thunder and lightning and wailing winds!!! this morning i swept the landscape bark back where it belongs and emptied various saucers of standing water - everything smelled so fresh and clean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a lovely voice on the radio that I have no doubt but that you sing beautifully. I'd dearly love to hear Hotel California played on ukes - any chance you can record it and play it during your radio show some week? That would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely, delicate flower! Enjoy your new electronic toy. I'm with you, we don't have smart phones either. I don't want to be constantly checking my email or other stuff like that, I want to be creating or ?
    Enjoy your day,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!