The trip to Sydney was uneventful, if you count a six hour drive much of which was in pouring rain uneventful. However we arrived safely, and as instructed I presented myself to the hospital the following morning, was poked, prodded, tested and jabbed......all quite undignified, you know.....duly put to sleep and operated on. The specialist told Kevin all went well, and I will be seeing him (the specialist, not Kevin......I see him much of the time) tomorrow to find out for myself.
The shoulder hasn't given much trouble since although it is making its presence felt today (thank goodness for industrial strength painkillers) but oh my, I woke up with such a sore throat which has persisted since, so much so that eating anything with lumps is so painful as to be impossible. Liquids such as soup and yoghurt are about all I can manage. Did you know that, while you are under anaesthetic, a breathing tube is passed down your throat but most people never know it once they wake up? For some folks, however, it leaves a very sore throat which a nurse assured me would be better in 24 hours. That was on Tuesday afternoon.......it is now Sunday afternoon......I am still waiting.......
The piece de resistance, however, is the tight white surgical compression stockings which are to be worn until I see the specialist tomorrow at midday. They are apparently to prevent blood clots and are so unattractive that I cannot bring myself to go out in public wearing them, and except for a couple of medical appointments on Friday afternoon, have not done so. Tomorrow's appointment will be kept wearing long pants to cover most of the stockings, and it won't bother me if it is steaming hot. I have my standards, you know. The black sling is bad enough: picture, if you will, a sling with a wide waist strap, and a wide shoulder strap, and the cradle for the arm held away from the body with a wide pad which stands out from one's waist far enough that one cannot see one's feet - hence, walking is slightly difficult, so the morning walk is suspended until further notice. One doesn't wish to take a tumble on the hill. Poor Bianca The White Cat had a paw accidentally stepped on the other night because I just couldn't see her.
Physiotherapy started on Friday afternoon and the therapist was pleased with my shoulder, so here's hoping for a quick recovery. I have even found out that washing long hair one-handed is possible too.
So, six weeks in the sling (with time off for good behaviour, and to stretch the rest of the arm and elbow daily) means, in that time, no sewing, knitting or crocheting, no ukulele playing, (sad), no housework (oh dear). Fortunately I can read and do crosswords and watch TV and......well......that's about it, really. All slightly boring. I will post occasionally so you all know I haven't dropped off the earth, unexciting though those posts may be at times.
"Never, directly or indirectly, refer to the affairs of others, which it may give them pain in any degree to recall."
Indeed. That includes subjects like operations on parts of one's person, because now it's done I would rather put the pain behind me.
Enjoy your days!
Oh you poor girl Jennifer. I hope you heal very quickly and your throat eases too. Rest up and get that shoulder healed.
ReplyDeleteYay, Jennifer! - the worst is behind you and the healing begins. Think on the bright side: 6 weeks without housework :) Glad to hear things went well.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back. The worst bit is over now. Lay in a supply of good DVD's. A series would be perfect to watch ...
ReplyDeleteGlad it all seems to have gone according to plan!
At least it is done... the next few weeks might be trying with trying to keep occupied.... I do hope the throat sorts out soon.... obviously you can still type... so maybe start your book?????? haha
ReplyDeleteHugz
It sounds like you are being a good patient. Housework would certainly be deterimental to a speedy recovery.
ReplyDeleteSounds like they scratched your throat...it has been known to happen. Don't let it go on too long. Gargling with brandy would be helpful or just sipping it slowly.
Dearest Jennifer, I have been out of the loop for a while and did not know that you were having surgery. I am so glad that all went well and that you are now on the recovery side of your surgery. Now would be a great time to plan and design what your would like to work on when you mobile again. I like Shays idea of getting in some DVD and just resting. Hope you are well soon. Big hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteI hope the throat pain eases off very quickly. Maybe a teaspoon of honey would help?
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your physio thinks you're doing well. Bet you'll be glad to be rid of those compression stockings!
Housework can wait. After all, it's never finished anyway. So let it wait! Read some good books, watch a series or three and pat kitties. :-)
glad things are going great, get a lot of good books.
ReplyDeletedo you REALLY think that you will avoid housework for six weeks?!? my Nurse Nancy lasted exactly 36 hours before she decided that i needed to get over it and get on with it - ha ha ha!!!
ReplyDeleteOh dear, poor you. I hope you mend satisfactorily and not too boringly.
ReplyDelete