Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Done!

Maritime Beauty is finished - berthed - safe in the harbour.  Colours of the sand, sea, rocks and sky......I haven't been to the maritime provinces of Canada, but this is how I imagine their shore looks.
 Shells to collect, and ripples in the sand.
Thank you very much, Karen!  Karen very generously gave me this pattern, one of her own designs.  It's very well written, easy to understand and to follow, and I can highly recommend it.  Should you wish to see Karen's designs (and perhaps make your own Maritime Beauty) you can do so on her website.

Wiggly quilting on this block is easy, and fun.  Just imagine that the spikes are hills and the backgrounds are valleys.  Starting at the top of a hill wiggle your way down to the bottom of the valley, then wiggle up to the top of the next hill......across the top........wiggle down the next valley, up the hill on the other side, across the top.......all the way round the block, or in this case round the whole quilt.  The spikes are left unquilted, but of course that is optional.

Later this month Maritime Beauty will be in an exhibition, an annual quilt show which is held to raise money for a local charity; it was dropped off this morning, so sadly I can't have the pleasure of looking at it here until it comes home again.

The current project under the needle is a cardigan in a very lightweight knit fabric, and for a bit of light relief I may start cutting pieces for the grandkid's quilt because the last weekend of this month is my quilt group's UFO weekend.  The chosen block is Economy Patch or square in square, easy to piece and effective in bright fabrics, so that will be a good project to take along - although it will be a USO because it is not yet started, so it can't be a UFO.  There is always a lot of talking on these weekends, but we manage to get quite a lot of sewing done too!

Life is going to be quiet here for a couple of weeks, uke group is on holidays and so is Thursday night choir as the musical director is overseas.  I shall really miss the music, but the uke can be (and is) picked up and strummed at every opportunity.  Playing guitar is getting easier too, my left arm is able to manage the stretch along the neck a little easier and the strength to press and hold down strings at the end of the stretch is slowly.......very slowly, mind you.......coming back.

"A call should not be less than fifteen minutes in duration, nor should it be so long as to become tedious.  A bore is a person who does not know when you have had enough of his or her company, and gives more of it than is desirable.  Choose a time to leave when there is a lull in the conversation, and the hostess is not occupied with fresh arrivals.  Then take leave of your hostess, bowing to those you know as you leave the room, not to each in turn, but let one bow include all."

Indeed.

Enjoy your days!

11 comments:

  1. It's just lovely, Jennifer - I can smell the salt air just looking at it! You have indeed captured the essence of Nova Scotia's north shore(by the Northumberland Strait which separates us from P.E.I.)very close to where I live, with the light sand and clear blue water (the Minas Basin shore on the Bay of Fundy coast has brown sand, navy water, and black rocks.) It's beautifully quilted, and I like your explanation of how you did your wiggly lines. This was worth the wait to see - I hope you gets lots of accolades at the exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning finish Jennifer. I love the quilting you did on it as well. Of course the colors are just beautiful. I bet folks at the quilt show will be very impressed. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re totally right Jennifer. The colours in your quilt do remind me of a day at the beach ...rocks, sand and beautiful blue water. Its really lovely and is sure the garner a lot of interest while on display.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your maritime is a beauty... I'm sure you are very happy with that result.... love the colours you have put together...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Just beautiful Jennifer! Sure to get lots of admirers at the exhibition. Glad you are slowly improving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very maritime "Maritime Beauty"! Your colour choices are perfect. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh now, that IS a beauty! i know nothing about beaches and oceans (being landlocked in the middle of a continent) but this is just what i would expect to see...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations it is yummy. I love the colours you have used. ( there is another on Karen's site in purples I like too ).
    It really does look good. Well done on a timely finish. It will display well I think.
    Thanks for being such a faithful commenter - I really appreciate hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is lovely, Jennifer. Your colours are perfect and your quilted shells are just the right thing for this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is delightful and it does indeed remind me of our trip to the Maritimes.

    Many thanks for the tutorial on the quilting .... that is doable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely finish for your quilt! I like the quilting that you chose and the colors that you used for such a classic looking quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!