In my stash are three different blue batik fabrics but none of them were quite the right binding fabric, I was prepared to make a choice from them although one was too bright, one was too dark, one was too green - but in a local shop recently this blue fabric jumped off the shelf and into my hands, and like Goldilocks, it was Just Right.
Do you like the wiggly quilting? Several years ago I attended a New York Beauty workshop with a tutor from New Zealand, Donna Ward, and she showed us this quilting design that she uses for the outer block points. I liked it so much that I used it on the quilt from that workshop, and on this too. The best thing about a wiggly line is that it never looks badly done, and because it is done in one continuous line along all the points in the block it is very easy. I'm all for easy, you know.
The back of the dark teal jumper (sweater) is finished, the front has been cast on. I am determined to wear it next winter. That yarn has has three false starts already, so this will be it.
In a few weeks daylight saving will start again here and the mornings will, once again, be slightly dimmer for a short while. The sun is coming up at stupid early o'clock now, so unless I get up before the crack of dawn for the morning walk I am looking directly into the sun while walking home up the hill. Once I tried walking in the opposite direction to avoid the sun in my eyes but my brain didn't take to it; for one thing the uphill trudge is much steeper, for another the walk along the main road is on the wrong side of the road, and at that time of the morning people are driving into town for work so there is a steady stream of bike, cars and trucks. Sometimes the trucks are carrying cattle or sheep for livestock sales on the other side of town, and the odour as they pass me is very........rural.
In my opinion, the term "fun run" is an oxymoron.
Spring now seems to be starting because the air is smelling different, the neighbour's jasmine is blooming over our side fence, and once it has finished flowering I will see how much I can cut back before it starts to take over the whole universe - because it will if allowed, you know. When we first moved here it was climbing on the back fence too, but not now. Plants which are quite benign in other parts of the world become weeds in Australia because of our climate; except for a few areas our winters are not severe enough to knock them back, so they grow all year ground. And grow. And grow. And keep on growing........
Our wedding gig went off well, the bride was gorgeous in her vintage frock and she joined us for a song or two, which was delightful. Because the music school follows academic school terms we have one more Tuesday this term then we are off for a couple of weeks. By the time we come back we may be starting to think about end of year/Christmas concerts. I don't know about you, but it sometimes feels that my life is flashing past before my very eyes while I sit back and watch it go by.
"It shows a want of courtesy to consult your watch, either at home or abroad. If at home, it appears as though you were tired of your company, and wished them to be gone. If abroad, it appears as though the hours dragged heavily, and you were calculating how soon you would be released."
It does seem to be that watches, rather being an item of jewellery, are falling out of favour because so many folk these days have smart phones which they use instead of a watch. My phone is not smart, it's quite dumb really.......but time still passes by, just the same.
Enjoy your days!
Lovely when you find the perfect finish. It is looking beautiful.
ReplyDeleteyou have an almost finish! and from what i can see of it, it is pretty doggone awesome!
ReplyDeletei don't have a cell phone (smart or dumb) and i stopped wearing a watch when i no longer worked for Corporate America - i decided that i was weary of living my Life by the Numbers - but now i actually kinda need one since i'm supposed to make sure that the younglings aren't late for school and i never know what time it is ... but does anybody REALLY know What Time It Is?!? oooo!!! maybe someone should write a song ... wait! someone already did...
Well done with stitching your binding . I like Donna's quilting pattern - even I might have a go at that.
ReplyDeleteLike Dianne above I don't have a cell phone ( true ) but I do wear a watch. I am also quite good at guessing the time ( but always check if it is important ).
The emu bush in your last post is new to me.
Binding is one of my favourite parts of quilting and I did some myself just yesterday.
ReplyDeleteSometimes finding the right fabric for something is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I waited 18 months once to find the right fabric for something....Glad you found yours more quickly than that.
Im a huge fan of wiggly quilting for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus to lay people it looks like you spent a lot of time getting it that way . (and again I did some wiggly quilting on Thursday) You and I seem to have some weird spooky sewing connection going on this week)
woohoo.. almost a finish.... I love wiggle quilting too... so useful...
ReplyDeleteHugz
your quilt is stunning (saw it on FB). I love the wiggly quilting you did too, it seems perfect for the quilt. We are getting dark earlier and earlier and it's sad to lose the day light, but Fall is here for us and there is a crispness to the air. I agree fully that fun run is an oxymoron, nothing fun about it if you ask me!! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteCan you show a photo of the wiggly quilting so that we can see what the whole block looks like? I'm intrigued with the quilting.
ReplyDeleteWill it be 3rd times a charm with your sweater?