It's quite bright.......that orange sashing and border is only one inch wide, so I am quilting a wavy line down the middle using the walking foot. My first thought was something more adventurous but it is for a baby, so the quilting doesn't need to be worthy of taking first prize in an international show.
As promised, here are some of the flowers and buds on one of our pretty correa plants.
It's not very big yet, so I hope you appreciate that I had to get down on hands and knees to take this. Getting down is still not too bad, but getting up again is a different story.........
On Tuesday I had a minor medical procedure. For some time now there has been a blemish right smack dab in the middle of my forehead; it has been frozen/burnt off twice but still comes back, so I made an appointment to have it seen to. The doctor didn't think it is anything ominous but as Australia has the highest rate of melanoma and other skin cancers in the world, I felt it was worth checking. I almost wish I hadn't, now.......first there was an injection at the edge of the blemish, then a couple of minutes later another one nearby.....I don't like injections at the best of times, and having to have two - TWO! - in my forehead was a bit much......then he took two scrapings of skin to be sent for biopsy, one for each injection, because there were two patches of scaly skin.....then the nurse slapped on a large white dressing, and I was given instructions on how to care for the wound. The dressing looked like a headlight, a beacon shining forth from my head, but as the instructions were to soak it off in the shower the following morning the indignity of wearing it was only for one day. Then there was the delight of having a scabby forehead that looked as though I had taken on someone bigger and stronger than myself, and lost.......but it is healing nicely now, although a small bruise next to the wound will, I suspect, take a little longer to go away.
If the biopsies don't show a problem then nothing more needs to be done, but if there is cause for concern I will be notified about a follow-up visit. No news yet, so fingers crossed!
Like many Australians my ancestry is from the British Isles, England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland, and like many Aussies I have skin which would be better off in a milder climate away from our harsh sun. However I was born here, my parents were born here, two of my four grandparents were born here, some of my great-grandparents were born here, great-great-grandparents too......my family roots in this country go back to at least 1800. Like many people of my generation we were sent outside to play, we wore no hat, no sunscreen, no shirt - skin cancer hadn't been invented then, obviously. I can recall being quite badly burnt more than once in my life, and people of my generation are now paying the price for that neglect.
"To remove freckles.
A good freckle lotion is made of honey, one ounce, mixed with one pint of luke-warm water. Apply when cold."
Ladies in 1885 were really concerned about having freckled skin. Apparently the reason was, a woman who wasn't a lady might spend time outside, gardening, working in the fields, hanging out washing.....but a true lady didn't do those things. She stayed inside to preserve her complexion, and if she needed to venture forth she wore a hat, long sleeves, gloves, and kept a parasol over her head at all times. The emergence of a freckle would have been greeted with horror.
Enjoy your days!
Babies, and their mothers, judge quilts to entirely different standards. Is it warm, is it colourful, did someone who loves me make it for me?
ReplyDeleteEuan's quilt is colourful and bright -he will love it! Have fun with the quilting! Thanks for the photo of the correa -darling little " bells". Will keep my fingers crossed for a good biopsy report.
ReplyDeleteGood luck Jennifer. I hope you get the results soon......the waiting is so hard.
ReplyDeleteI've been saying for many years, it is the atmospheric changes that have made the sun stronger. All that stuff we blast up into space has to be doing something. It shakes the devil out of Florida at blast off so going through all the layers has to cause some sort of disturbance.
I love the bright colors of baby Euan's quilt, can't wait to see it done. Your flower is gorgeous and I appreciate your suffering for all of us to see it. I'm with you on needles in my forehead or face for that matter, I do not understand how someone could subject themselves to botox on a regular basis, it's hard enough when it's for something truly medical in nature. I was lucky to tan well as a child, although I have had some good burns a time or two. Back then I don't think they even made sunscreen or knew it was dangerous in later years. Hope you are healing well and that it comes back as a non-issue. Hugs!!
ReplyDeletelet the quilting begin.. it's going to be lovely and happy.... pretty corea plant... I too have the fair skin and lots of freckles .... and require regular checks.. the African sun is as harsh as the Australian one ....
ReplyDeleteHugz
Love the quilt and Mr E will too! Mm, lived in Egypt and Libya as a child, remember getting blistered shoulders but also remember having to wear a t shirt in the water so maybe there was some concern even then. Mm, getting up is agony, my knee is getting worse! We do appreciate the effort!
ReplyDeleteYeah for the quilt .... feels good to start it!
ReplyDeleteEuan's quilt is looking fantastic - and babies love bright stuff , so this is going to become a firm favourite Im sure.
ReplyDeleteI would have made up a story about how I'd gotten into a knife fight or something to explain the wound on your head, but then we all know I like to spin an embellished yarn or two.
I am looking a bit the same. I'm using Efudix on one above my upper lip which is red and swollen and 3 together on the side of my head by the hair line where my glasses arm sits. It's only the lip one that lis annoying me ...cause I can feel it and see it in the mirror. I hope it works!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes on your quilting! I know just what you mean about not wearing sunscreen when younger. We played outside for hours and never put any on. I'm glad that the biopsy came back negative and hopefully you won't have to go through that any time soon.
ReplyDelete