Pages

Monday, May 4, 2015

Swinging from the chandelier

Although it's not quite a chandelier!  A few days ago our new shade was installed.
 It is not easy for a short person to take a picture of a light fitting, you know.
 Looking up from under, the outer row of diamonds is bevelled clear glass, next row in is patterned clear glass, inner row is opalescent glass.  Shades with coloured glass are gorgeous, but we wanted a clear/white one.

We could have bought a ready-made shade in a lighting shop, had we found one that we liked......but no.  The 1970s are back with a vengeance, folks - remember brass, copper and wooden light shades? - which is why we decided to have ours made by Linda and Mark, the lovely folks at Volcania Art Glass.  We've lived through the 70s once already, we don't need to do it again.

The block that I designed last week is done, and since this was taken it has been starched and pressed.
At least I think I designed it......there are probably similar blocks floating round out there in quiltland, because there is nothing new under the sun, is there?  I called it "Spinner" because it reminds me of those child's toys that spin round on a stick.

The green top cut out a few weeks ago is being looked at next.  The fabric has been in my stash for a few years, the pattern was bought a year or two back, but I hesitated about cutting into it because I didn't to wreck it.  Up until several years ago I could buy a pattern, cut out and make up a garment and it fit perfectly but since going through menopause, changing shape and turning into a short barrel on legs, getting clothing to fit is much more difficult.  That's why the fabric has been sitting for so long, but now it's cut out and if it doesn't fit or makes me look like the side of a house and is thrown out......why then, it's only fabric.  Even if it is beautiful green fabric and was bought on sale because it was the last of the roll and there is no more because it was a few years ago and the fabric shop has none left and it's all gone.

Ah well.  It's only fabric.

This morning we had a thick fog, and the whole valley disappeared into cloud.  Planes couldn't take off or land, so pity help those folks who were planning to take an early plane to the Big Smoke to connect with another flight.  There was a good chance they missed it.  Like many country towns in Australia, on the closest hill to this town there is a lookout which affords views over the town, over the valley and for a long long way round - but there was no view this morning.

One of the local Rotary Clubs is having its annual used book sale this week, so yesterday I bagged a few bargains....and a few more today.....the sale is on all week, so I might have to visit again before it closes.  One of the books I bought today is about some of the women - some very young, still teenagers - who sailed from Australia to England after World War II to join the English men they had met and married during the war.  Going so far from their families and friends must have been a huge step for them at a time when many people didn't go far from home.  I remember watching a documentary about Aussie women who sailed to the USA after World War II to join the husbands they had married but barely knew, and that was interesting too.  Not all of these marriages lasted, a small number of women were notified by their husbands en route not to bother continuing because they were no longer wanted and were sent back (just imagine the hurt and humiliation!), and not all the women were welcomed by their husband's family when they arrived.  England has long had a reputation of looking down its nose at 'colonials', and some of the women were made to feel this very keenly.

"If, perchance, after they have entered upon the stern realities of life, they find that they have made a mistake, that they are not well-mated, then they must accept the inevitable and endure to the end, "for better or for worse;" for only in this way can they find consolation for having found out, when too late, that they were unfitted for a life-long companionship.

'Acceptance and endurance' - doesn't sound like a good bargain to me.

Enjoy your days!

9 comments:

  1. Love your block. It does look like a spinning pinwheel. The women that moved to Canada from England were not welcomed with open arms after WWII. It had to be very hard on them, but they persevered and it must have been darn hard on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding clothes that fit is always a problem. Real women are suppose to have curves, but the clothing doesn't seem to. I expect you will have better luck making it yourself.
    Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new light fixture is beautiful. I don't blame you for not wanting to revisit the 70's, ugh all I can think about from that era is the ugly colors and shag carpet. I love the new block, it is gorgeous and it does look just like the spinners on a stick. Sounds like you are stocking up on some interesting reads for the winter ahead. Hope the blouse turns out well so you can enjoy your fabric. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful shade! That's such a neat idea to have one made for you so that you can choose just what you want. I like your block, it's colorful and has a nice movement to it. Menopause just stinks, doesn't it? Gaining weight, hot flashes, waking up in the middle of the night-gosh-what did we do to deserve all of that??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your light fitting – and although you profess not to like retro – I seem to recall similar lights lurking around in the mid to late 1980’s. Still a classic though and I can see why you decided on this one.

    Love your block too – very colourful! Im sure whatever you make with your magical green fabric will look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very lovely light shade.
    Strangely I am reading a non fiction book about folk who came from Europe to live in Australia after WW2. ( not all or even many of them were made welcome. )

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the lampshade and your block made me think of those spinners too.... must have been hard for those women... I am constantly astounded that there are still those kind of views in our society in modern age though... at least these days communication with loved ones far away is a lot easier....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet block, it would make a fun and cheerful quilt. Love the shade, it will be very pretty when lit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, lovely lampshade and block.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!