Isn't the music print fun? It looks like a song might sound during some of our uke lessons, with notes everywhere. I was wondering how to piece the back; the finished quilt will be 49 inches square so it will need more than one width of fabric, but two would be way too wide. Now my brilliant brain has decided on two prints - one black with white, the other white with black - pieced in stripes, narrow stripes in the middle getting wider at the sides.
Our uke gig went off well last week at the annual Learners Concert, we enjoyed meeting our fellow students, even an ex-member of our group was there with her husband who is learning fiddle; she has given her uke to a grandchild and doesn't play any more. On Saturday morning the choir sang at a local aged care home and our fearless leader Bill had asked the choir uke people to play, as several members belong to both choir and uke group. Only one uke player was able to make it......yours truly......so I duly played and sang, and the choir joined in. We were thanked and complimented afterwards when we joined the residents for morning tea.
One has to take fame and glory where one can, you know.
Some of the money that flew out the door in recent weeks went on having my chair re-upholstered. A few years ago I bought a used wooden-framed chair with a high back, low legs so my feet can sit on the floor, and low arms which don't get in the way of knitting and sewing. The upholstery was dark toned floral tapestry which looked like something that had escaped from an old peoples' home but it is soooo comfortable that I put up with it.......until earlier this year I noticed the upholstery was fraying whereupon a trip to a local upholsterer, a browse through their sample books, and a colour called Opal was chosen. One would have to use one's imagination to see opals in it, I have some opal jewellery and this isn't opal, but it is green! The fabric was ordered and a few weeks ago my old chair made its trip Across The River (some locals don't like crossing the river, goodness knows what they are afraid of, it's just a small river) and spent a few days in the workshop being rejuvenated. Even the wooden legs and arms are now green. I love it.
Perhaps I could have done it myself.......it would certainly have been cheaper......but it wouldn't have been done anywhere near as well as it has been. Greg The Upholsterer said that style of chair (which he called a TV chair) was one of the best ever made, and he also said that if he decided on a change of career he would go into business building chairs just like it and make his fortune.
This weekend we have a craft show circus here in town. My cunning plan is to go along tomorrow with a small amount of money in my purse and, if I see something I love enough to buy, it may come home with me. If not - I will come home empty handed, it won't be the first time. The last craft show I attended was in Canada, the Creativ Festival in Toronto, and I must admit to a certain amount of spending at that one.......but that doesn't count as craft spending, that counts as holiday souvenirs.
"Baldness.
Gentlemen are more liable to baldness than ladies, owing, no doubt, to the use of the close hat, which confines and overheats the head. If the hair is found to be falling out, the first thing to do is to look to the hat and see that it is light and thoroughly ventilated. There is no greater enemy to the hair than the silk dress-hat. It is best to lay this hat aside altogether, and adopt a light felt or straw in its place."
I wonder if gentlemen these days wear silk dress-hats? Somehow I doubt it, although if silk hats were to be made in the style of baseball caps they just might.
Enjoy your days!
I'd love to see your chair, it sounds perfect.
ReplyDeleteDo you think your budget system will work at the fair? I'd just run home for more cash if I saw something I wanted! :)
This looks so cute ♥
ReplyDeletesummerdaisycottage.blogspot.com
I'd love the see the chair too, you have us sitting on the edge of our chairs wanting to know what this incredible chair looks like . Love your black and white fabrics, should be working really neat looking project . Good for you going solo .
ReplyDeleteThat chair sounds intriguing...perhaps a photo in the future????? As for baldness and hats...men wear hats all the time, especially baseball hats and cowboy hats...and when did it become out of order to leave one's hat on when one entered a building? I'm amazed at the number of men who leave their hats on inside....don't get me started...I need a fan!
ReplyDeleteI love to buy craft supplies as souvenirs of my travel. Then I get the double enjoyment of using them when I get home.
ReplyDeleteI love that you are planning a pieced back before the front is done of your quilt! Well done with the singing and uking (that's probably not a real word!). I think sometimes its just worth getting an old chair recovered by a professional... may cost more in $ but less in stress???
ReplyDeleteHugz
I would love to see your Chair, Jennifer
ReplyDeletei'm all for old green chairs made new again - ESPECIALLY when there is no getting in the way of sewing (and, for me, crocheting) ...... circles in black and white sounds like an outstanding idea to me!
ReplyDelete