Ah well. Not much we can do about that, is there?
Some more pieces were joined on the blue and orange batik quilt, it's going to be somewhat bright......even brighter than I had hoped.
One print has words, many are abstract, there are leaves, flowers, and one has butterfly wings. No bodies, just detached wings. Poor butterflies......does this mean that, if they can't fly, they are just butter?
My favourite of all the black and white fabrics currently being joined is this café print with curly chairs, cakes and candlesticks. I have no memory of when or where it was bought, there were probably other prints in the same range which might have been just as much fun - but we will never know now, will we?
Hard to believe that just one year ago today we were winging our way, as they say in travel brochures, over shark-infested waters on our way to Vancouver. That long flight was followed by a (fortunately) shorter flight over bear-infested forests to Toronto, and it was with much relief that we laid our weary heads down that night having flown half-way round the world and been up for nigh on two days. Next weekend we will be heading off again; we will be driving the long way to the coast and, while we will enjoy a nice break from our humdrum daily routine, an Australian beach in spring won't have the gloriousness of Ontario in Autumn.
Sigh......in several months it will be autumn again here, but first we have to survive summer again.
Over the past week or so we have started seeing local folk in summer clothes, I'm not that brave yet (certainly not today, that's for sure......I'm not hanging my bare arms or legs out in that freezing cold wind) but recently my wardrobe has increased by new black sandals, a black and white top and new capri pants in both royal blue and teal ready for warmer weather. The sandals are pretty, I couldn't decide between black or brown, perhaps after we come home I shall buy the brown ones too. One needs to keep up appearances even when one is a retired Olde Pharte, you know; those new clothes may even come to the coast with me, because one likes to make a good impression when travelling.
"Travelling dress.
Comfort and protection from dust and dirt are the requirements of a travelling dress. When a lady is about making an extensive journey, a travelling suit is a great convenience, but for a short journey, a large linen overdress or duster may be put on over the ordinary dress in summer, and in winter a waterproof cloak may be used in the same way. For travelling costumes a variety of materials may be used, of soft, neutral tints, and smooth surface which does not retain the dust. These should be made up plainly and quite short. The underskirts should be colored, woollen in winter and linen in summer. The hat or bonnet must be plainly trimmed and completely protected by a large veil. Velvet is unfit for a travelling hat, as it catches and retains the dust; collars and cuffs of plain linen. The hair should be put up in the plainest manner. A waterproof and warm woollen shawl are indispensable, and may be rolled in a shawl-strap when not needed. A satchel should be carried, in which may be kept a change of collars, cuffs, gloves, handkerchiefs, toilet articles, and towels. A travelling dress should be well supplied with pockets. The waterproof should have large pockets, and there should be one in the underskirt in which to carry such money and valuables as are not needed for immediate use."
Well, I'm not sure......I was thinking of travelling in jeans and tee shirt with my hair down, yes it's long, and definitely no neutrals. I don't do neutral. Neutral is so.......neutral.
Enjoy your days!
Sadly, as your summer begins, ours ends. It is -1 here as I write...(and I neglected to cover the tomatoes in the garden last night. Oh, oh...)
ReplyDeleteI agree about the neutrals. I like stretchy pants when travelling, and layers. Enjoy your travels, I look forward to the pictures.
ReplyDeleteAh, Jennifer...brights make the world go round, don't you know? I'm a brights kinda girl myself. Have a wonderful trip to the beach - colour me jealous! I miss the beach so much.
ReplyDeleteI think a waterproof cloak would suit you!
ReplyDeletejeans and t-shirts are the bomb-diggity - for travel or any other pursuit...
ReplyDeleteis orange neutral? i really, really like orange.
Lovely work! Enjoy your Aussie beach break x
ReplyDelete