Never mind. This too shall pass, as I keep reminding myself.
At least my foot hasn't fallen off yet.
As a blog post isn't complete without pictures and nothing worthy of being pictured has occurred this week, let's trawl back through the vaults and see what we can find.
Taken just a couple of months after we moved here from the Big Smoke. No cats were harmed in the taking of this picture.
Bianca had never seen a fire until living in this house, and immediately after the fire was lit she jumped on top. She didn't stay long, though - we didn't have to coax or lift her down, she jumped off very smartly!
Bianca is still with us, she is now 16-1/2 years old - don't forget the half - and is doing well for such an elderly puss. Each year her vet has "Senior Pet Month" in June with a free check-up, so off she went early in the week to be checked. Apart from a low growl when vet Robyn touched a sore spot on her back hips she behaved quite well, and received a good health report. She has lost some weight and is looking a little scrawny and unkempt as old cats do, but she runs around like a cat half her age and is quite happy with her life.
This was our view on a couple of mornings his week......not much at all. Last year was so dry we had no fog as there was no moisture around to create any; it's still very dry but an occasional shower lately has left enough moisture for our world to sometimes disappear in the mornings.
One of the reasons we chose this house (apart from the view across the valley) was the lack of steps to make life difficult as we grew older. It's single storey with one step at the back and just four at the front but those four are a bit tricky when one is unable to bend one's ankle (I'm not kidding when I say the boot is rigid), so we have ordered a railing for the front steps. We like the open look of the house with no railings and it's not high enough off the ground to make safety railings mandatory, but out of curiosity we had a low rail included in the first quote......however, the amount was enough to make our eyes water.
As a result the verandah will stay un-railed, but there will be a basic rail to the left of the four steps which will make my life slightly easier.
My visit to the book sale last weekend to top up my Sue Grafton book collection yielded - nothing. There were several of her books on the shelf, but all were books I already have! Never mind......I shall visit every few weeks or so and have high hopes of completing my collection. I did, however, find a couple of music books (one I already have, but the new one is in much better condition than my much-used copy), a couple of CDs and a DVD.
Following on from last week's quote:
"The mother has it in her power to make such books the companions and friends of her children as her good judgement may select, and to impress upon them their truths, by conversing with them about the moral lessons or the intellectual instructions they contain. A taste may be easily cultivated for books on natural science and for history, as well as for those that teach important and wholesome lessons for the young."
My parents let me read whatever I wanted. I was a precocious reader, reading whatever I could get my hands on even if I didn't always understand it, and had a reading age older than my actual age. For them it was just an opportunity to boast about their clever daughter which they felt reflected glory on them......what wonderful parents they must be to produce such an amazing child!......but we had few books at home, and I never saw either of my parents read. Books were my escape from a not always kind world.
Enough of that.
Enjoy your days!
I feel for you....and glad you enjoy reading. Same here as a child....my Mother had a crime novel subscription and by 13 I had read every Agatha Christie book released lol! Sending you healing wishes x
ReplyDeletemy parents didn't edit my reading, either - although my mother did express some concern when i decided that i was gonna start with the first book in fantasy fiction and read my way through the library shelves in the childrens' section one summer - i made it about halfway before i decided to embroider tea towels instead - ha ha ha!!!
ReplyDeletei hope that you heal sooner rather than later - and take it easy on the steps!!!
I, too, was a voracious reader. I had a heart condition at birth that prevented me from raucus play outside until I was about 8 years old. By then, habits had been formed and as a result, I'm not athletic at all. But I AM a reader....by golly, I'd be lost without books!
ReplyDeleteBianca looks like a beautiful ornament on the fireplace. We have been enjoying our fire though not needed the last few nights.
ReplyDeleteHugz