Had my moment of fame and glory at the Eisteddfod on Friday night, and while as I expected I wasn't chosen to be the winner I had fun, as I suspect did everyone who performed. Yesterday's rock 'n' roll ukulele group gig went well, we had much audience involvement because, being of A Certain Generation, they knew all the words to those songs from the late 1950s-early 1960s.
Apart from more hand stitching of tumblers, a most enjoyable activity, no stitching has happened. However a project which has been languishing is the Canadian mystery quilt I signed up for in October 2015, a block for each province and territory, all applique. Two household floods plus the subsequent clean-ups and rebuilds meant that project has been on the back burner for ages, so earlier this week it was taken out of hiding and pieces for another block traced. On our trip last year I saw a completed quilt and it is lovely, so I am determined to finish mine.
Pictures haven't been taken this week as nothing worthy of being photographed has happened, but here are some from last year's Big Trip.
This plant is called Burning Bush - it is a really bright vivid red, spectacular in autumn.
Lots of granite in Parry Sound......grey, pink, you name it. The granite colours along the highway were gorgeous. Parry Sound also has a wonderful book store.
I have no idea what this interesting striped plant is called. It was photographed in Midland but we also saw it growing in Toronto not far from our apartment, in a garden which we passed on our treks to the big amazing supermarket.
Looks like the good folk in Bayfield trim their trees as badly as we do here, around the wires.......poor trees......this would have been glorious left untrimmed.
Not sure what this week has in store, nothing out of the ordinary I suspect, which means time to sew, and time to play music, and time to read......probably should sweep a floor or two......
The annual quilt show was held in the Big Smoke this week but I haven't been for years. Winners are here if you would like to feast your eyes. Early in the year I did think of going, but then that's the weekend of the Eisteddfod and the uke gig, and I was on morning tea/BOM roster for the quilt group, and it all became too bothersome to make arrangements. Perhaps I will get there again one day, but I don't know when. It has crossed my mind to head down to Canberra for their quilt show in August instead; we would take the caravan, have time with our family and I could enjoy the quilt exhibition and craft show. Not this year, though, as I don't know what's happening after next week's hospital visit - arrangements for surgery to my foot may have to be made. Not being able to plan ahead is a bit of a nuisance.
"Idleness a source of misery.
Perhaps the greatest cause of misery and wretchedness in social life is idleness. The want of something to do is what makes people wicked and miserable. It breeds selfishness, mischief-making, envy, jealousy and vice, in all its most dreadful forms."
Envy and jealousy both? Well, well......and here was I thinking they were both the same side of the one coin.
Enjoy your days!




I do hope you get good news on your foot. Well done on your performance. Lovely pics....burning bush is stunning x
ReplyDeleteOh, I hope this week's appointment with the medicos carries good news! Surgery and recuperation will just prolong the use of that dreaded boot! Sending good vibes your way, my faraway friend.
ReplyDeleteGood to hear you have got your mystery quilt out of hiding.... I'm looking forward to seeing some of the blocks. Healing does take time but you are almost there now? I do love that burning bush...
ReplyDeleteHugz
I know people who bought the mystery quilt and still haven't started it. I was wise enough to realize I didn't need another ufo, so I passed.
ReplyDeleteOh dear .... my mystery quilt is still in their pkgs. I really should think about getting that one started sometime .....
ReplyDelete