Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2020

One almost-finish for the week

The next block for my Canadian mystery quilt has been stuck down, but is not quite finished.
The polar bears both need eyes and the cub needs a nose, but they will be done by machine.  This is the block for the Northwest Territories, where it probably doesn't ever get very hot......certainly not as hot as we know it here.  The next block is currently being prepared.

Like a lot of the world, our life is in limbo due to the current plague.  We are waiting to hear if the folk festival at Easter has been cancelled - which will be a difficult decision for the organisers, but is probably the correct one.  If that is the case we may still go to Canberra; we have booked and paid for accommodation on the way, but if we have to cancel then we have to cancel. 

However, one now has a wonderful excuse if there is a function one does not wish to attend, or if there is a person one wishes to distance oneself from.
"Oh no, I'm self-isolating".......

At least here at home there is fabric to be sewn, yarn to be knitted, books to be read and music to be played.  Never a dull moment here, folks.

With the current cool weather (today has a distinctly autumnal feel) my thoughts have turned to the next knitting project.  There is still a skein of yarn bought on the last trip to Canada which hasn't yet been knitted, and which will probably become a scarf - sock yarn which is way too gorgeous to be hidden away inside shoes.  Yarn was also bought last year for a new cardy, a deep mustard-gold.  It will probably have plain sleeves and back with fancy cabling on the fronts, the fanciness of which is yet to be decided.  Decisions, decisions......

A big occasion coming up, on Thursday it will be our wedding anniversary.  44 years, my goodness - how time does fly!  Add to that two years living together beforehand (quite a radical thing to do in those days, although it was slowly becoming more common) and we are heading up toward a whole half-century together.  Does one get an endurance medal for such things, I wonder?  Because we probably each deserve one.

We never thought of ourselves as trend setters at the time.  Due to a mistake made when I was young and silly (marrying a bloke I should have kept well away from) we had to wait until I was legally able to marry before we could tie the knot.  It was a minor scandal among older family members for about five minutes, but all was well once we were legal and had started producing children.  In any case it's so long ago now that, as the song says, it really doesn't matter any more.

"Mutual trust and confidence are other requisites for happiness in married life.  There can be no true love without trust.  The responsibility of a man's life is in a woman's keeping from the moment he puts his heart in her hands.  Without mutual trust there can be no real happiness."

A lesson learned when I was young and silly.

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. That's quite a quote. Congratulations on your many years together. Listening to TV news as I write, they are talking about travel restrictions in Australia...very similar to here, really, although the newscaster has used the term "draconian."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am "social distancing" because it sounds friendlier. I have gotten a bunch of sock knitting done. Today, I am starting a new sewing project, and catching up on some laundry.
    For a beautiful skein of sock yarn, might I suggest the " Pembroke Scarf", a free pattern on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your anniversary...we are coming up to 47 years. Most of the folks who married in the 70's - at least that we know - are still together...must have been a time of true committment, not like today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the anniversary.... so glad you got away from your first mistake.... I expect the festival will be cancelled.... there will have to be some big changes for a while... as you say we will have plenty to do.... love the latest block.... it will be a lovely quilt...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you both....you rebels you lol! A lovely milestone for you. Your snowy block is going to be lovely by the preview. All will be well with our fabric, instruments and pencils xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!