A momentous occasion during the week - we shouted ourselves lunch out, at a favourite Chinese restaurant. Tables were spaced out and we were told where to sit; at no time did we feel concerned. Yes, I could have made Chinese-style food at home, and indeed often have......but it was so good to sit down and order, and have my meal put in front of me, and not to have to clear it away after. Besides, I can't make honey chicken and fried rice as well as that restaurant can.
Even bought myself some new shoes, my older ones are getting somewhat tired so called in to the shoe shop near the Chinese restaurant. Found some casual black slip-ons in my size; my feet like them, my eyes like them, and best of all......they were half price! I really don't like shopping for shoes, but that's now done.
My Ontario runner is being quilted, there's not much more to go, it will be bound.......and then it will be done. Tumblers are still being joined. Stitches are occasionally knitted on the scarf. Books are being read. Some TV is watched. That's about it for our week, really.
We need a picture, and I realised recently when pics were scrolling through our computer that this one has never before been shown on my blog.
Before I retired I worked in the library of a girls' school, and one of my colleagues was also a quilter. When one of our librarians announced that she was having a baby we decided, of course, to make her a quilt. She knew she was having a boy but swore us to secrecy - even her husband didn't know - so we kept away from a lot of pink without making it too boy-boofy; it would have worked for a boy or girl. We both raided our stashes for I-spy prints, put it together, and I quilted and bound it. When it was presented to its new owner's mummy she was delighted.
Earlier in the week I even braved the mirror at the hairdresser (they are always unflatteringly brightly lit, aren't they? and you have to keep looking at your reflection, which is a bit of a worry) for a trim. Last trim was in mid-March just as our world was shutting down, but the joy of having long hair is not needing regular trims. My hair is now the shortest it has been for goodness knows how long, it just clears my shoulders. Takes a bit of getting used to after so many years, and I've decided I really do prefer it longer......however, it will grow again.
One can't avoid noticing that nearly every second person who sews seems to making masks for the current plague epidemic. I will not be making any. There is saturation coverage on news reports, in fact the bulletin is often more than half over before we get to find out what else is happening in the world - and then we are being told "look after your mental health while all this is happening"! Yes, I know it's serious, but I refuse to dwell on it to the detriment of my well-being, which is why my sewing room will not be used for the making of masks. I will buy them if we are told that we cannot stick our noses outside without one, but I will not make any.
Continuing on from last week's quote:
"The manner in which a favor is granted or a kindness done, often affects us more than the deed itself. The deed may have been prompted by vanity, pride, or some selfish motive or interest; the warmth or coldness with which the person who has done it speaks to you, or grasps your hand, is less likely to deceive. The manner of doing anything, it has been truly said, is that which stamps its life and character on any action. A favor may be performed so grudgingly as to prevent any feeling of obligation, or it may be refused so courteously as to awaken more kindly feelings than if it had been ungraciously granted."
I am inclined to agree, having been on the receiving end of an ill-mannered act.
Enjoy your days!
I agree with you about the masks. I have made several for ourselves and I enjoyed teaching my 10 year old grand-daughter how to sew her own but generally I find mask-making depressing so I try to avoid it. I live in the Vancouver area in Canada and have travelled around Australia several times. Love it. I have been following your blog for awhile now but I usually just lurk.
ReplyDeleteThat I-SPy quilt is darling...well done, You! Mask-making has been done here - not as much as some folks but enough to make sure myself, my mom, Mr. Wonderful and our son and his family have face coverings...since everywere here in the US requires face masks when out in public places, I decided to make them myself and do without the boring old paper ones they give out at the medical offices.
ReplyDeleteHere masks are required inside buildings, so my friends and family needed some. I stay home, so I'm don't need one, except for the rare medical appointment.
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to get out for a meal... do what you can when you can....
ReplyDeleteHugz
That would have been a treat. I love your I spy quilt and can see why it was a delight to receive. I am getting another hair chop Saturday thank goodness and I love new shoes....except letting go of the old comfortable retired ones x
ReplyDelete