We've been out and about!
On Friday we took the Nice Sunday Drive that we have been promising ourselves, and oh - it did feel good. We drove through beautiful country and saw amazing scenery, none of which was immortalised because I left my camera at home. One would, however, need a very fancy-nancy camera to do it justice because it was a huge view especially when going over a mountain range looking out into the distance; I have no idea how far we could see, but it seemed to be a very very long way.
We started our trip an hour from home with morning tea, in which Kevin partook of a chocolate-y slice with his coffee and I, being very fond of apricots, had apricot and white chocolate slice with mine . We ended up having lunch in our destination, a small town which was buzzing with folk passing through, but we managed to pick our times and places so we didn't feel crowded.
Just as well we didn't have the caravan with us! The purpose of the trip was a trial run for future reference, and we have decided that while it's a beautiful trip the road is not a caravan road. It used to be dirt for much of its length but last year it was upgraded and sealed all the way. Problem was, however, that heavy rain earlier this year had washed some of that new road away - half a lane width had collapsed over the side of a mountain, not something you would want to be on when it happened! Now there are repairs to be made at the cost of some squillions of dollars because it wasn't done properly in the first place. You know what they say......do it once, and do it right.
Apart from our day trip not a whole heap has happened this week. Stitches have been sewn in the tumbler quilt. Black and white fabrics are still being cut, some fabrics which I had thought of using have been decided against, decisions are still being made. Stitches were knitted. Books have been read.
So - we will be revisiting the photo vault this week.
This was my quilt group's annual challenge, the year after we moved here. We were given a design to copy which it didn't inspire me, but on looking closer I could see stars hidden among the lines.....and I like star quilts. It was drawn out in EQ7, lines were erased (there were lots and lots of two inch finished squares and half-square triangles in the original), and I dipped into my stash for this fun stripe. The black and white was purchased; I wanted all the background to be one fabric rather than scrappy.
Cutting instructions were printed out, and rotary cutter was taken in hand.The finished quilt - all from stash, except for the background and binding. Colours for the stars were taken from the stripe.
It was quilted by me too.
See those lavender triangles? That's the size of the original squares.
I like my design much better.
Not that there's anything wrong with making someone else's design.....I have done it before and will do so again......but making up one's own design is fun.
We seem to have left winter behind, and are descending headlong into summer - who could believe that, just a week ago, we needed a fire to keep us warm? I have bared my arms in short sleeved tops, and my toes in sandals, but haven't yet flashed the legs. That will come, no doubt very soon.
"Monopolizing conversation.
For one or two persons to monopolize a conversation which ought to be general, is exceedingly rude. If the dinner party is a large one, you may converse with those near you, raising the voice only loud enough to be distinctly heard by the persons you are talking with."
Have you ever been near a group of people who are talking, and noticed that there is often one person who talks louder and more forcefully than anyone else in the group? We have decided that these folk are the 'special people' of our world, so 'special' in fact that normal rules of polite behaviour don't apply to them. They are related to the 'special' people who push themselves into a waiting line, or who push their car into a row of traffic. 'Special' people indeed......so special that we should consider ourselves lucky to be on the same earth as they. As of course we do.

we drove (1.75 miles) to Taco Bell and navigated the drive-through window ... that was all the adventure that i was up for that day ... and, oh my gosh, that chalupa (fun word, chaplupa) tasted soooo good!!!
ReplyDeleteso many special people in the World ... and so unique ... yep, unique, just like everybody else...
TeeHee.....Special people....they seem to be everywhere, don't they? I love that re-designed quilt you made...so bright and cheerful!
ReplyDeleteso lovely having a drive out.... I think we will do one today. love your quilt.... people like you who can redesign are very clever...
ReplyDeleteHugz
Such a darling quilt! I very much like that stripe! You know me and my stripes. LOL
ReplyDeleteA good idea to do a reconnaissance if you are not confident with a new untravelled road. I really like your version of quilt. I am enjoying the in between weather at the moment x
ReplyDelete