Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2021

On to Plan B......or C........

No progress has been made on the Canadian quilt, because the corners have me stumped.  I have absolutely no idea how to make them quilt as you go unless the corner design is changed, and I don't want to change it.  I like it as it is. 

On Monday 'Weeds of Grace' was taken to my quilting friend, and as we sat in the sun enjoying a cuppa and a nibble I asked her advice on said corners.  "Well, you could......no, that wouldn't work.  Or you could perhaps......no, that won't work either" she said.  I have another person to ask for advice, fingers crossed she may have a workable suggestion.

Never mind.  A brilliant idea may pop into life into my brain one day.

Meanwhile, 'Imprismed' has been exhumed from its box.  It's not a big quilt (49 in by 56 in), it's just that I find foundation piecing a wee bit tedious although it's not difficult.......but now that its box has been re-opened (a bit like opening an Egyptian pyramid) work will continue on it.  These half-blocks are laid out but not all sewn together.
This week's houses, very bright and cheerful; one bright pink with tiny black spotty circles, and one teal with a bright orange door.
Back in the 1970s people were buying older timber or fibro houses and 'doing them up'; sometimes 'doing up' included painting the house a bright colour.  Pink was popular, so was purple.  (Well, it was the 1970s......)  The problem was that when there were only one or two bright houses in a street they really didn't go with other houses which were dark brick or the always popular white or cream paint, so the visual cohesion of the neighbourhood suffered as a result.  My neighbourhood won't have that problem, for sure, because nothing goes with anything else.

Gilbert and Sullivan's opera 'The Mikado' states in one song "When everyone is somebody, then no one's anybody".  My houses will all be somebodies so no one will stand out from the crowd.

Our world is opening up again.  We are now allowed to talk to other people although we still have to wear a bag over our head when out in public.  Kevin is hanging out for a haircut while I may have a chance to shop for undies, even if it means wearing the dreaded bag over the head mask.  Hopefully I will be able to get it done as quickly as possible, take off the mask and breathe again, because I certainly can't breathe while wearing it.  Which is a bit of a bother, really, because breathing is probably a good thing.

We may even be able to get together and play music again, and sing, and go back to choir!  The choir is due to perform at a concert at the end of November at which the ukulele group will also be playing and I will have a solo (yay me!), but we have missed over two months of singing since lockdown started which means we may not be ready to perform......and there is still no guarantee that the concert will be able to happen, anyway.  Sigh......

Earlier in the week Bianca had a trip to the vet because we were concerned about her.  She needed some fluids under the skin which she was given and has been fine since, but we know at nearly 19 she is on borrowed time.  We will just try to make her remaining weeks/months as comfortable and pain-free as possible for as long as possible.  When we moved in together over 47 years ago my grey and white cat Smokey came with me, and we have had at least one cat ever since......it will be a very quiet household indeed without Bianca.  

Continuing from last week's quote:

"It is the duty of the hostess to maintain silence among her guests during the performance of instrumental as well as vocal music.  If any are unaware of the breach of good manners they commit in talking or whispering at such times, she should by a gesture endeavour to acquaint them of the fact.  It is the duty of the hostess to see that the ladies are accompanied to the piano; that the leaves of the music are turned for them, and that they are conducted to their seats again.  When not intimately acquainted with them, the hostess should join in expressing gratification."

In other words - when at a musical entertainment of any sort, sit down, shut up, and listen.  Clap enthusiastically or politely at the end, but clap.  That is all.

4 comments:

  1. I like your new project. Sometimes I think the thinking takes more time than the doing. Giggling about the bags over your head. Poor Bianca...always sad when our beloved fur people get old and ill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It drives me mad when folks go to a concert or movie or whatever and then proceed to talk during the performance - "Hey, buddy, I paid to hear the music, not your opinion!".

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to seeing the new project grow... I like that look of it...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you show us a photo of what has stumped you on your Cdn. quilt? Maybe we can help?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!