Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2022

Back to vertical

Which is something I most definitely was not, last weekend; the reaction to the booster was every bit as bad as I had feared, in fact it was worse than last time.  As usual Kevin had no reaction at all, which doesn't seem fair.

It has been a sad week, though - on Thursday we had to say goodbye to Bianca, after more than 19 years.

This is my favourite pic of her, taken not long after we moved here.  Our house in the Big Smoke didn't have a Big Black Blob in the corner, a thing which, after some magic words were said and arcane deeds done, could be made to emit warmth.  (We still have a Blob, of a more modern design)  The magic words had been said, the arcane deeds done, a small fire started......and she jumped up!  She didn't stay long, but I couldn't resist a photo.
Back in the Big Smoke, helping to sort and pack.
Just to show what a pretty cat she was.....and yes, she did have eyes of different colours, but she wasn't deaf.
When she was very young she had just a few grey/black hairs on top of her head, something our vet told us could cancel out the gene which often makes odd-eyed white cats deaf.

And now we are catless.  We have always had at least one cat in our 48 years together.  The house is very quiet.

Before succumbing to the booster reaction I did manage to start the quilting on the border of my Canadian quilt, and have high hopes of being able to do more during the coming week.  Enough was done that the layers are now held firmly together, I don't need to worry about it falling apart every time it is picked up.

Some stitches have been knitted.  Some diamonds have been pieced.  Some words have been read.  That is about all I have been capable of doing.  I am seriously thinking about not having any more boosters; I suspect the government and the medical people will try to cajole/bribe/coerce/threaten us with one every six months, but I don't want to be that ill every six months.

The ukulele group has a gig next Saturday afternoon, a 'musical afternoon' we have played at in the past, before the covid plague.  (Our lives seem to be divided into BC and AC, don't they?)  We even have a couple of extra songs in reserve in case we are needed to fill in for someone who may have to cancel at short notice, always a possibility these days; when I spoke to one of the organisers yesterday she was pleased to hear it.

The new dishwasher works, for which we are thankful.  We also now have a light in our walk-in pantry, something which makes our lives easier.  It's set up with a sensor, comes on when the door is opened and goes off when it's closed, so it is not left on when it shouldn't be.

Continuing on with General Rules for Balls:
"It is necessary for a gentleman to bow to his partner before a quadrille; after, it is enough that he offers his arm and walks at least half way round the room with her.  He is not obliged to remain beside her unless he wishes to do so, but may leave her with any lady whom she knows, or conduct her to a seat."

So, gentlemen, don't just dump your quadrille partner like a hot potato.  The bow before beginning the quadrille is performed while the opening chords of the music are being played.  Gentlemen bow - ladies drop a curtsey - to one's partner, then turn and repeat to one's corner person.  Then....begin the first movement of the quadrille.  I used to enjoy dancing quadrilles, whether slow and stately or more enthusiastic.

Enjoy your days!

8 comments:

  1. I am glad your booster worked ( your immune system was on high alert). Now you are protected.
    I'm sorry that Bianca has left you. A house without a fur baby must feel so empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people do seem to react very badly to the shots. Good to know you are recovering. Such a pretty kitty, they do like to find the warm spots. I'm sure Bianca has found a new warm spot and has lots of memories of her loving humans. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bugger re the booster.......I was off more for the third one compared to the first ones so not sure about the 4th......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biance sure was a very beautiful cat... - it's going to feel so strange for you.. I missed my 4th booster by getting covid.... still having after effects from that so it's hard to know what is worse...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sincere condolences on the passing of your beloved Bianca. It's a loss for sure. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad to hear of your reaction to the booster...but really glad you are feeling better. And I understand about Bianca - we lost our Gilligan after only 16 years with him and it's left the household much more silent without him. Blessings to you and Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bianca was a beautiful cat and the photo of her sitting on the wood stove is priceless.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!