Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Finally getting around to it

More quilting on the border of my Canadian quilt has been done.  The black inner border is now finished; it was quilted with two parallel rows to match the quilting in the black sashing between the blocks, then a row in the ditch between the black and white borders.  (Occasionally the needle jumped out of the ditch, which is why I am not a great fan of stitching in the ditch.....but it passes the ten feet away rule, so that's all right.)
You can see the black and white borders here.  Next will be a row of stitching - once more into the ditch, dear friends, once more, to paraphrase William Shakespeare - on the edge between the white border and the outer red and black leaf print border.  Although it's only straight stitching it's quite a physical workout because the quilt is heavy and stiff, as there are three or four layers of fusible appliqué in some pictures.

And - I now have my own round tuit!  So there is no excuse for procrastination, is there?  I can no longer say "when I get around to it".
A surprise package from a friend in the Big Smoke - thank you, Sandra! - with a 'round tuit', and a wombat coaster made from Silky Oak, both shown on the red back of my Canadian quilt.
Silky Oak - Grevillea Robusta - is not an oak tree at all, but its sleek grain resembles that of European oak.  It makes beautiful furniture, and I remember a building in the Big Smoke whose entrance hall was lined with wall display cases made from Silky Oak.  Way back before my memory starts our town made the decision to plant Silky Oaks as street trees - many still survive; they are now quite large and provide good summer shade but woe betide anyone who parks underneath when they flowering, as the flowers drip their sticky sap onto cars.

The house is quiet without a cat......but we suspect we will be finding white cat hairs on clothing and furniture for some time yet, and a few were even spotted earlier while quilting.

Yesterday the ukulele group's gig went well, people said nice things to us and about us.  There is another gig coming up soon but - guess what! - this time I have been asked to do it solo on my own by myself, how about that?  The theme is 'Roaring Twenties'; I can do the songs easily enough, but clothes.....not so much.  Perhaps I need to hit the op shops and see what's available.  A sparkly or lacy top could be The Very Thing, something I do not currently own as I really don't do sparkly or lacy clothes.  Plain black pants will be the bottom.

As usual, this week some stitches have been knitted, some diamonds have been pieced, words have been read.  The first sleeve on my whatever-it-becomes (either a jumper [probably] or a cardigan [possibly]) is proceeding along well, the armhole decrease is well under way so the further along it is the quicker it goes.  

Continuing on with General Rules for Balls:
"Never be seen without gloves in a ball-room, or with those of any other color than white, unless they are of the most delicate hue."

For women gloves would probably also be long, as the rule 'the shorter the sleeve, the longer the glove' applied.  Gentlemen also wore gloves to a ball so as not to leave oily marks on their partners' skin or clothing while dancing.  Indeed, some folk in these times of plague might wish the custom of wearing gloves would return, and not just for wearing at balls.

Enjoy your days!

5 comments:

  1. Your quilting looks very tidy. Even with a ditch foot my stitches still wander occasionally, I like your ten feet away rule. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about in the ditch quilting.... but the stand away rule holds well for it. I do like the round tuit badge... very clever....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got the quilting started on the border! You have been wanting to do that for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just am in admiration of any machine quilting! Love the tuit token and wombat coaster is lovely....I love silky oak. My Nan had a beautiful dining setting and sideboard made from it and as you say they are beautiful in blossom...from a distance! I am still finding white cat hair 2 months after my Daughter and felines left to move into their new home lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer, intrigued by your Canadian quilt. Snippets I've seen it looks lovely.I also enjoy these ball rules. Amazing and perhaps we could use a little more decorum these days with the way things seem to have gone. So sorry about your sweet cat. We found dog hairs from a white short haired dog for a decade after his sad demise on a suit hubby got out to wear to a wedding.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!