Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2022

A corner has been turned!

A cause for much rejoicing, let me tell you.

The binding was re-joined correctly, and all is good.  Even the final join (often a bit tricky) was done without incident, although I noticed when pinning the binding to the quilt that there could be, just might be, a very small tuck where there shouldn't be one.....but I won't tell if you don't.
The binding is now being sewn down on the back with tidgy widgy little stitches, and more than a quarter is done.  I always start a little way down from a corner so, by the time the fourth corner is turned, there isn't much binding left to be sewn.  The Cunning Plan is to have it finished for show and tell next Saturday morning....not sure if it will be, but I'll give it a go.  I sew until my fingers get tired, have a break, sew some more....

Last week was very busy, this week is quieter.  There is still one ukulele gig on Wednesday evening, and that's it for the month.  Four gigs - I don't think we have ever had that many in the space of just a few weeks!

This morning we played for a fundraiser fair and it was fun, although it's always hard work being outside.  We were under cover which is better than being in the open - at least we could be heard - but by the time we finished I just wanted to go home to peace and quiet.  The local pipe band played and, much as I love the sounds of the pipes, they are definitely an outdoor instrument!  Another band played in the same space as we did before and after us, and they were good; a bit jazzy, a bit boppy, and they played songs that we knew so we sang along.

One thing our town is famous for is its beautiful jacaranda trees and this year they have been late to flower, probably due to the cool wet start to the season.  However they have caught up, our trips towards town are now brightened by the beautiful trees in full bloom along the way.
Here we are - we made number 5!  This pic though was taken in our back yard in the Big Smoke where we had a self-seeded jacaranda; it appeared as a small seedling twenty years before we moved out, and we enjoyed its beauty every year.  Looking at maps and satellite pics, though, that lovely tree has now gone.  It wasn't a large yard and by the time we left the tree took up most of it, but we enjoyed it for its shade and its flowers.

The forthcoming season is now making its presence felt more and more.  Shop displays....ads on TV......people out and about today in seasonal clothes.....goodness, I don't even think of getting out my Christmas earrings until at least the first of December!  Our younger son's birthday is 2nd December and we always celebrated his birthday before starting the family Christmas, and even though he has been in Canada for nearly 18 years and had moved out of home before going there, we still keep the same tradition.  He was born early, he wasn't due until 20th December; The One And Only Grandkid's birthday is 19th December, which is even closer to the big day.  

Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"A crowded street.
When a gentleman and lady are walking in the street, if at any place, by reason of the crowd, or from other cause, they are compelled to proceed singly, the gentleman should always precede his companion."

One thing which I notice in old street scene photographs is the number of people out walking.  There would have been few distractions such as movies, television, even radio, so if you wanted a social life you went out.  One could stroll along showing off one's new outfit and admiring - or not! - others' new outfits, too....and of course one would definitely need an escort to precede one, through such a crowd.

Enjoy your days!

3 comments:

  1. The outdoor decorations are in place, because it is always easier to do before it is frigid, and dark. It is kind of nice to see the outdoor lights now that it is dark by 4:30 in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is getting so very cold here...not at all a typical beginning to our winter. We are expecting warmer temps this next week of Thanksgiving. Who knows what our winter will turn out to be, but I can firmly state I do not like the wickedly cold weather! My DH's birthday is the 10th of December and we have always begun the holiday decorating the weekend closest to his birthday. My birthday is the week after Christmas and the decorations are always taken down on the 1st of January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a satisfaction in hand sewing down the binding as the last bit.... almost done. The jacaranda's seem to be so good this year - I expect they enjoyed rain.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!