Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2022

Yay! Double yay and triple yay!!

Yay even unto the nth degree yay!!!

It is done!
I am very happy with it, too.  When I can I'll get a better pic, but it is done.  The hanging split sleeve still needs to be sewn down on the back, but that doesn't count towards done, does it?

During its making I earned a lot....I learned how to quilt as you go; I learned how to do raw edge applique, something I had done very little of before this.  On our last trip to Canada our DIL and I went to a quilt show which had one of these hanging, but I didn't take a pic - because I wanted to photograph my own when it was done.

However, the most impotant thing I learned was - don't ever do anything like this again!

Now things can be moved around again in the sewing room.  The house blocks have been brought back into daylight and will now be worked on, likewise a foundation pieced project which needs its turn in the sun.  Each project has its own box; for some time now the biggest box has had fabrics and patterns for the Canadian quilt because it was large enough that the blocks could stay flat, but now it will be used for another project.

A few diamonds were cut but none joined.  No stitches were knitted; it's getting a bit warm for knitting.  Words have been read.

A few nights ago Kevin was standing over the barbecue on the back verandah (which we call the beer garden although we seldom drink beer in it) and a few of the neighbours popped by for a visit.  I think the one on the right should be wearing a "baby on board" sign.
There's always one who likes to be Nigel or Noreen No-friends on its own....
The year is slowly winding down.  A few nights ago the choir had its end of year dinner at a restaurant for a very nice meal and in a week or so the sewing group is doing lunch.  The quilt group had theirs last Saturday but I didn't go as it clashed with the choir concert, and as it was probably our very last performance ever there was no choice, was there?  Choir won't stop meeting, but we won't do concerts.

Ads are starting to appear for so-called 'talent' programs starting back on TV next year (nothing like getting in early, is there) and one young feller shown was singing, head back, eyes closed, throat tight, face contorted in agony.....if you don't enjoy it, mate, don't do it.  Simple.

Houses in our street are putting up fancy lights, the neighbours two doors down at no. 72 have a large display with just about every light flashing merrily.  When we came home from our dinner on Thursday night we passed several houses with their flashing displays and it was already 9.30 p.m......if we lived near one of those displays I would be asking (nicely, of course) (at first, anyway) if they could be turned off no later than 9 p.m.  Or preferably earlier when it just starts to get dark, because flashing lights annoy the bejabbers out of me.  Bah humbug.

This year will be just the two of us so the house will be quiet, but there will be a few decorations put out.  My Canadian tree - a small tree with decorations from Canada, some bought by me and some gifted - will go up, and the Chrissie wombats will of course make an appearance.  Even Flossie, the Jim Shore Christmas angel, might pop in for a visit.  She can keep an eye on the wombats, because Santa Paws doesn't come to naughty wombats, you know.  Even Christmas decoration wombats.

Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"The first to bow.
In England strict etiquette requires that a lady, meeting upon the street a gentleman with whom she has acquaintance, shall give the first bow of recognition.  In Australia, however, good sense does not insist upon an imperative following of this rule.  A well-bred man bows and raises his hat to every lady of his acquaintance whom he meets, without waiting for her to take the iniative.  If she is well-bred, she will certainly respond to his salutation.  As politeness requires that each salute the other, their salutations should thus be simultaneous."

I remember being out with my maternal grandfather, Pop Davis, when I was a child, and he would always raise his hat if he saw someone he knew - particularly a lady.  I don't, however, remember if their mutual salutations were simultaneous.

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. Yay! Great finish. We all have to have one of those projects.... The kind you never repeat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice quilt! cute neighbors...around here lots of deer and lots on the road that have been hit as well..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. I know of lots of those kits that are still unfinished. Some are not even started!
    I love that your neighbours dropped in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing the Canada quilt...it is stunning, of course! Well done, you! It is getting colder and colder here...hoping John will decide to put up the decorations for the holiday soon...I've decided NOT to remind him and see how long it takes. Perhaps we won't even put up a tree this year....maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOO HOOTIE HOO!!! time to party like it's your birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At last ..... a wonderful finish! Once the sleeve is on, you can enjoy it up on the wall! Our wee Xmas tree is up and decorated and in our front window. That is our only concession to outdoor lighting now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I said before the quilt is stunning.... as you say some challenges don't need repeating but one can be pleased to have done them. I have got as far as taking down the boxes of decorations !
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!