Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Follow the yellow brick road to the neighbourhood

How are you all this week?  

During the week some of the house blocks were sewn into rows, and I can honestly say I have never used such narrow sashing before ever never.  It finishes at just one half inch wide.
However - the blocks are busy and the sashing is bright so that narrow sashing is, like Goldilocks, just right.  Oh, what a poet I am!

The plan (the hope!) is to get more rows joined this week, and to soon start cutting strips for the long sashings between diagonal rows.

Another piece of Kevin's grandmother Laura's filet crochet.....the flowers look like poinsettias, don't they.  This is a small piece, just the right size to sit on a circular tray adorned with a blue vase.
There are many different types of lace.  This tatting was made by my great-aunt Laura, who died in 1948; her tatting is beautiful.  I have two of this design.
Some of her unfinished pieces in pink and cream......
.....this is also pink, the same colour as in the pic above.
More unfinished work, and some of her unused 80 and 100 threads.
There were also some very fine metal crochet hooks with the threads when they came to me, they are now with my own (chunkier!) hooks.  Crochet hooks are used to join pieces of tatting.  I also have her tatting shuttle made from - possibly - Xylonite, one of the synthetic materials popular in the Art Deco era of the 1920s-1930s.

In 'Gone with the wind' Scarlett O'Hara is mentioned as having made "yards and yards of tatting" to sell at a fundraising bazaar.  Perhaps it was a narrow edging intended for trimming a handkerchief - or even for sprucing up a lady's unmentionables.  I remember my mother having a long nightdress made of delicate cream fabric trimmed with darker cream tatting, which was made for her mid-1940s trousseau.  My mother didn't sew but her mother Edith did, so perhaps the nightie was made by Edith and trimmed by Edith's sister Laura.  It was probably in the clothes passed on to charity after my mother's death.

Diamonds have been joined, but more need to be cut.  Words have been read.  Notes have been plinked and sung.  No stitches have been knitted but that may change on Tuesday - Kevin's birthday - as we plan to go for a Nice Sunday Drive and have lunch somewhere, and I usually knit on trips.  

Summer's heat is well and truly upon us now, but now that February is upon us and days are getting shorter there is the promise of autumn to come.  In this heat gadding about early is the Thing To Do - not an easy thing when one is not a morning person, but preferable to gadding later in the day when the temperature is fierce.

Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"Keeping step.
In walking together, especially when arm in arm, it is desirable that the two keep step.  Ladies should be particular to adapt their pace, as far as practicable, to that of their escort.  It is easily done."

It is probably also "easily done" for a gentleman to adapt his steps to that of a lady.  Why should the woman always have to be the one to adapt?

Enjoy your days!

4 comments:

  1. Great to see the neighbourhood coming together, the thin yellow is as you say just right. Lovely laces. this husband has much longer legs than mine and there is no way I can adapt to his stride! haha
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. The neighbourhood is really coming on. The tatting is gorgeous and would have been so time consuming to create....I have some very simple trim and I have tried it but can't get past simple loops. Beautiful keepsakes x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful lace crochet from grandmother and great aunt...how good they are in good hands with you.
    Your blocks are great in their diversity. It's going to be super nice.
    All the best birthday wishes to Kevin.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!