Some good things, and some sadness.
Sadness because we had to bid farewell to a good friend, who died recently. We were unable to get to the funeral but were still able to 'attend' via the wonders of technology. The world isn't the same without him in it, but we have many memories of sitting with him and his wife over a cuppa and home-made treats (he always enjoyed my fruit slice) here, of meeting them at country pubs for lunch, sharing drinks and dances at folk festivals, and attending concerts together.
That recipe will be forever known as 'Colin's favourite' in our household from now on. The recipe is tweaked every time I make it, but it is always good.
One of the good things - the last of my blue and green blocks are done, yay!
Two larger and four smaller......then came the fun of laying them out. It's difficult to get a good pic when one is short, but a small set of steps helps a bit. This may not be the final layout; it will be checked occasionally before starting to sew blocks together so any tweaking as to colour and/or value can be made. Unlike many quilts it isn't constructed in rows, so a copy has been made for drawing lines on and planning the sewing sequence. It isn't big - 48 in by 60 in without borders, but that's big enough for a lap quilt if one doesn't have a large lap. The illustration found online showed borders. I would add the link so you can see where it was found, but when I go to click on the link to "quilt for lovers" the computer says "I wouldn't go there if I were you....." so I don't. However, you may be able to see it here. If you lashed out at a fabric shop sale and consequently had a roll of 2-1/2 in strips sitting doing nothing, this would be a good way to use it.
Quilting decisions have been made. I will have a go at quilting it myself using wavy lines going from one side to the other, using as many different blue and green threads as I need. My first thought was to use one variegated thread.....but which one? Green? Blue? Something in between? The idea of using a random selection in mixed colours popped into my brain and has stayed there. The binding may be pieced from different blue and green fabrics too.
Sewing together may not be started this week as there is other Stuff needing my attention. Next weekend is my annual chance at fame and glory performing in the Eisteddfod, something I have been doing for several years now. Each year I enter not expecting to win, and so far I have never been disappointed....but, just the same, it is fun. A run-through of my chosen song a couple of times a day between now and then, and I will be good to go. I hope.
Stitches have been knitted, my jumper is really coming along quickly considering I only knit in front of TV when there is something I want to watch - a rare occurrence these days. Words have been read. Diamonds have been joined but more now need to be cut.
We are now well into freezy frosty chilly season. Mornings see us waking to a coating of white on anything left outside, while not so far away folk living in frost hollows - yes, frost hollows are a thing - are seeing morning temperatures much colder than us here in our broad valley. Reading the forecast for later in the coming week makes me think that the Big Green Jumper may have its annual airing. The winter solstice will happen at some ungodly hour on Thursday morning but I, for one, will not be up and dancing just before 1 a.m. when it does.
Continuing on with Shopping Etiquette:
"It is rude to interrupt friends whom you meet in a shop before they have finished their purchases, or to ask their attention to your own purchases. It is rude to offer your opinion unasked, upon their judgement or taste, in the selection of goods."
Indeed. You may think you have better taste than your friend, and perhaps you do, but keep that to yourself unless your friend asks for your opinion - and even then, be tactful.
Enjoy your days!
we've had the nicest spring that i can remember - mild temps and afternoon showers - the grass is green and the water bill is 2000 gallons less than last year ... it all changes this week, but it was lovely while it lasted
ReplyDeleteyour blues and greens are pretty doggone cool!!!
and i am sorry about your friend's passing...
Sorry to hear about your friend but memories are precious so that you never forget them. That layout is nice and a variety of quilting threads will make it interesting.
ReplyDeleteLove the blue green quilt.... I had to look carefully to see how you might be constructing it. Never easy saying goodbye to a special friend. I so agree with your etiquette advice and it annoys me getting unsolicited opinions... but I think that is more the way it is said sometimes.
ReplyDeleteHugz
I am very sorry you have lost your dear friend. Some folks just make the world a better place. Love your blue and green quilt....like the idea of a blue/green binding. I think we all know what we like and thank goodness we are all different......yes please wait until asked!
ReplyDeleteOh, I am loving this color combo and the layout. I've often thought about doing one like it....your quilt is moving me closer to making one of my own.
ReplyDelete