No, indeed. The figures for May were released a few days ago, and our town had its coldest average minimum May temperature for over 100 years. We were even named in the article. It was also the driest May since 1998, not a record we wish to break; some rain would be welcome, but no doubt it will fall in its own sweet time.
So....the week has been taken up with the usual pursuits, stitches were knitted (my jumper is coming along really well), more stitches were sewn on the machine (some blue and green blocks were made), words were read (because who doesn't like to switch off from the world by getting immersed in a book?), diamonds were joined during my volunteer time at a gallery, and notes were plinked and sung, but the room we use for choir was getting a much-needed refurbishment so no choral singing was possible.
The blue and green blocks are coming along nicely. Thoughts will be thought about its name.
This week's finished blocks, squares on top, rectangles below. My first block count turned out to be incorrect; I had thought that 21 rectangles and 31 squares were needed, but another count today confirms that 24 rectangles is the final number. The squares required are still the same, 31. The blocks fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, some rectangles are set vertically and some horizontally, which makes counting a bit tricky - there are no instructions, I'm working from a picture found online. Another six rectangles are still to be made, and another eight squares, then laying out the blocks can be done.The last of the pics taken at the National Rock Garden in Canberra. This is Hawkesbury sandstone - the carved design would make a good quilting design, yes?
Many of the remaining buildings from the 1800s and early 1900s in the Big Smoke - Sydney - are made from this stone, as it relatively soft and easy to carve. The elaborate detail so beloved of the Victorians was not too difficult to achieve.Many of the buildings are decorated with carvings and statues, some of which look a bit overdone to our modern eyes. However, there is no denying the skill required to make them. Many years ago we were visiting one of Sydney's historic sites which was having maintenance work done and were pleased that they were using trainee stonemasons, a skill which is changing with time. Older buildings need maintenance, so those skills will be in demand for a long time.
Some towns are starting to realise that those so-called "old" skills are still interesting - Bendigo is one - I would love to attend one of these. Our local Historical Society is having its Spring Fair in September, and I have been asked to demonstrate again on one of my 1920s Singer treadle machines. I have done so twice and it has always generated interest; many people have memories of such a machine in their family...."Mum's auntie had one but I wasn't allowed to touch it" etc.......but not many can remember seeing the machine being used. I'm sure I could find fabric in my stash to make something......just maybe.....
The afternoon has flown by and there is a song waiting to be arranged, so before we say farewell for another week let's look at the etiquette book. As Etiquette of the Street is now finished we move on to Shopping Etiquette:
"In inquiring for goods at a shop, do not say to salesman "I want" such an article, but, "Please show me" such an article, or some other polite form of address."
Yes indeed. An expression which makes me grit my teeth and want to slap the person using it (including our son in Canberra) is "can I grab", as in "can I grab a coffee" to the staff at a café. What's wrong with "May I please order a coffee"?

When the temps dip, all those sweaters and quilts you made come in very handy. I used to make all my clothes on a treadle, until my Aunt came for a visit and then gave me her electric sewing machine and I've never used a treadle since. My niece has the old treadle and I should see what she has done with it.
ReplyDeleteBrrrr..... I wonder what the 'proper' winter will be like? The sandstone is lovely to see. I enjoyed an old crafts festival here - we went to the first one they held and it was fun to see it all... the next time they let in so many people we couldn't see anything that was happening.... it had got so popular.
ReplyDeleteHugz
Ohhh chilly....we've had a couple of warmer days here which has been lovely. Blue and green blocks look great. I love seeing the old skills being used and passed on..most people are always fascinated. Your treadle will sure to be a hit xx
ReplyDeleteThe colors of your blocks are wonderful... I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have enough fabric for more matching blocks. Have lots of fun with it.
ReplyDeleteWe also have a lot of sandstone buildings because we have the Elbe Sandstone Mountains nearby.
I had to smile at the quilting pattern... yes, great idea.
I also have an old Singer pedal sewing machine...it's a great machine and reminder of my childhood, my mom used to sew with it.
A hug to you Jeniffer.
Those colors are some of my favorite combinations. So restful!
ReplyDelete