Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2024

In all its autumn rhapsodic beauty

The centre of Autumn Rhapsody is done.

It now measures 48 inches square.  This pic was taken against the back fence (the sheet is to protect the quilt from our wire fence) on a slightly breezy day, it co-operated and didn't blow around too much.

I love it!
However - that is as far as it can go until I am able to cut fabric for the next round, a 'peeper' flange finishing at one quarter-inch.  The choice is between these two fabrics; the top fabric is a brighter golden brown than it appears here, but the bottom fabric speaks to me louder anyway......so, the bottom fabric it shall be.  I like the flashes of different colours.
The peeper strips are cut one inch wide, so are slightly fiddly-diddly to cut.  During the coming week I'll see how my hand can....er....handle the cutting!  I have been hemming and hawing about whether to include the peeper, but have now decided to do so.  This quilt will eventually go off to a long-armer for quilting but before that is done the peeper flange will be stitched down by hand, so it won't get in the way of the needle.

Thoughts have been thought on the size of the finished quilt, too.  The original magazine quilt is large, 85 by 97 inches; it's made rectangular by extra borders on top and bottom, a design feature that I have never liked.  Some quilters don't like square quilts, I do, and I like some rectangular quilts - but I don't care for designs which look as though the quilter thought "oh, I'll just add a bit to the top and bottom to make it big enough".  I think my quilt will end up being about 85 inches square, more or less, and the surplus HSTs already made can go on the back.  Waste not, want not, and all that stuff.

How has everyone's week been?  Ours has drifted along, as usual.  Another session with Emma physio on Tuesday, she is pleased with the progress of my hand and wrist.  There are now exercises to help my fingers too; all those weeks ago my fingers curled under as I fell onto my hand and wrist, so the swelling and bruising in my fingers was quite bad.  I still can't make a fist, but can now touch my thumb with the fingers one at a time and......progress!  I can also now hold a pen (although anything written with it is still not very neat) so I can now sign my name for my various activities.

Words have been read.  Some stitches have been sewn by hand, and by machine.  No knitting, yet.  No crossword puzzles either.....but plenty of exercises.  Songs have been sung, and a few plinked.  Some hunting and gathering, and that's about it for the week.  Perhaps one of these days something more exciting may happen.  We can but live in hope, can't we.

Another picture of my quilt, just because I can.

"Conduct in picture-galleries.
In visiting picture-galleries one should always maintain the deportment of a gentleman or lady.  Make no loud comments and do not seek to show superior knowledge in art matters by gratuitous criticism.  If you have not an art education you will probably only be giving publicity to our own ignorance.  Do not stand in conversation before a picture, and thus obstruct the view of others who wish to see rather than talk.  If you wish to converse with anyone on general subjects, draw to one side, out of the way of those who wish to look at the picture."  

Yes.  To which I would add, keep your phone in your pocket.  You don't need to obstruct the view of others by taking pictures of yourself or members of your family in front of famous works of art, as was done at an exhibition we attended a few years ago.  Just enjoy the moment, and the painting. 

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

6 comments:

  1. your autumn leaves are so, so, so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely and I do like that darker fabric for the peeper strip. Glad to hear the exercises are working and you are progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear that your hand continues to improve.
    A peeper border will add so much. You have done a lot this week.
    Deana at dreamworthyquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting your top finished. You are making great strides in recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt top is looking wonderful...... woohoo....

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful top.
    Good luck to you - in every direction.
    A hug for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!