The decision was made to postpone the rotary cutting for a little longer, as my fingers are still sore and stiff and complain if asked to do much. The pieced borders will be made next, then they will be ready to be added after the peeper border is cut and sewn on to the top. The HSTs finish at four inches when joined so the quilt will grow by twelve inches all around when these borders are on.
Some of one side......
.....and some of the other.
You can see the variety of colours, prints and backgrounds, can't you? Even on a dull day with the overhead light turned on, rather than natural light.Today is grey, and cloudy, and quite cold. Historically the third week of July is the coldest week of the year in Australia, or so I read a day or two ago, and I see no reason to doubt it. It is freakin' cold. The "feels like" temperature is nowhere near double figures, and the fire is keeping us warm....I can't begin to imagine how cold the house would be without it. Towns at a higher altitude, an hour or less away from here, are expecting snow during the coming week; last time snow was recorded as falling here in the valley was in 1984, and we weren't living here then.
My hand is gradually getting used to being able to do more. I can now use a spoon or folk in my right hand to bring food to my mouth, something not possible until a day or so ago; the twisting in the wrist required to do so was beyond me. I can also trim and file the nails on both hands, although the slight 'buzz' when filing my right hand nails feels strange! Last night I diced some fetta for a spinach pie and, although the fetta was fairly soft, my wrist complained.....but Kevin's idea of chopping food and mine don't quite agree and it needed to be finely chopped, not left in large chunks. So I did it.
It was worth it, though. The result was quite yummy.
Some hand sewing has happened. Words have been read, and songs sung, but no notes plinked; I will get the ukulele out again during the coming week as my wrist is feeling stronger. We hunted and gathered, the usual social highlight of the week as we often greet acquaintances while trundling around the shops, and that was about it. The coming week might be a bit more exciting as there's a visit to the physio (be still, my beating heart) and a sewing group meeting on Wednesday. Whacko.....or as my maternal grandfather used to say many many years ago, whacko the diddle-o.
Our speech patterns are continually changing and evolving, and some of the older words and expressions are dropping by the wayside as a result.....including 'whacko', although it's still used in a sarcastic way. I suppose it's inevitable as more influences come into our lives....first it was radio followed by movies and television, then the internet has since opened up the world......but many folk, myself included, think it's a shame to lose the old words. No doubt though, when someone uses an expression that you remember from years ago - it's instant bonding, and you have a new best friend!
Our musician friend who has stayed here a few times during the country music festival is from our generation being just a few years younger than I am, and grew up in another state, and we have a lot in common - and one of them is speech and words. One of his favourites is 'cobber' meaning mate or friend, usually used by and to males. I remember my Posh Melbourne Grandmother saying of someone she knew "he's a bonzer chap". 'Bonzer' means 'excellent' or 'very good' while 'chap' is 'man'; these days we would probably say "he's a good bloke", however - I cannot imagine my PMG using the word 'bloke'. Oh, no. Dear me, no.
"Conduct at charity fairs.
In visiting a fancy fair make no comments on either the article or the price, unless you can praise. If you want them, pay the price demanded, or let them alone. If you can conscientiously praise an article, by all means do so, as you may be giving pleasure to the makes if she chances to be within hearing. If you have a table at a fair, use no unladylike means to obtain buyers. Not even the demands of charity can justify you in importuning others to purchase articles against their own judgement or beyond their means."
We have street markets a few times a month here, and over the years have noticed a change in goods being made and sold. These days there is a lot of baby Stuff, and dog Stuff, and as we are not needing any of these things we have gotten out of the habit of attending. Perhaps when the weather is milder, we may do so again.
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer
Each week gives you more mobility in your hand and arm. I can see why you get excited about physio! Your autumn project is progressing nicely and soon you will be able to start cutting again. Stay warm!
ReplyDeleteGood your hand us slowly improving.
ReplyDeleteLoved this read! Words and phrases have changed so much from generation to generation.
This is a hilarious video of teens trying to use a rotary phone https://youtu.be/xC0Ab-aPmyA?si=owmxDKmnFo7pHlbK
You can copy and paste it into your browser.
"Here's a quarter, call someone who cares ". Kids don't get okd cliches. They don't know about pay phones.
"Just Google it" I would not have understood that one as a youth.
Young people can't drive a stick shift ir read/follow a map.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Deana at dreamworthyquilts.blogspot.com
Also, this generation goes straight to YouTube to figure things out while we read instructions or problem solve it.
ReplyDeleteDeana at dreamworthyquilts.blogspot.com
It's been a long road back by the sounds of it Jennifer and it's amazing what we take for granted...hope it's onward and upward now. I love our Aussie sayings and haven't heard the "whacko" quote for years...thanks. Your Autumn leaves quilt is going to be so striking..love those colours.
ReplyDeleteIt's a wee bit chilly up here too. I mean zero degrees overnight! Seriously lol!
good to hear there is progress on the hand, albeit slowly.... I know a couple of women who use lots of the old sayings, I wish I could remember them as some are really quite amusing. I have sometimes heard people really quite rude commenting about things at a market stall - no need for that.
ReplyDeleteHugz