During the week the first two trees were made for 'Arboretum'. First there was an orange tree....
......then there was a green tree............and then they stood side by side.
The fabrics for the next two trees have been pulled from the Big Basket of Batiks. They are quite easy to make; the only fiddly-diddly bit was lining up the side seams on the angled cuts so they weren't too far out of whack, but I reckon that by the time I have made a heap ton of blocks I should be pretty good at it. The blocks are trimmed to size anyway, which accommodates for discrepancies in piecing.
Like the original quilt some of my trees will have co-ordinating branches and leaves while some will have contrasting; some will have two cuts, or three, or even four - or maybe more! - while a few might only have one in addition to the centre cut. It's certainly going to be fun dipping into those gorgeous fabrics, I didn't realise I had quite that many.....it's been a while since the Big Basket was raided.
How has everyone been this week? We have had rain, not as much as the folk further out west had, but rain is rain after all. More is forecast for the coming week so our garden (and all the other gardens in town) will be smiling again. The recent nasty hot temperatures have cooled somewhat, making for much more pleasant days; even the nights are not too steamy for sleep.
The Frog has been croaking in the drainpipe quite a lot recently, which could be a sign of more rain to come. Ever since we moved here we have heard and seen the occasional green tree frog; several years ago one even made its way up through the drain into a toilet bowl (fortunately I looked before I sat down, just imagine those cold clammy little fingers tapping on one's bare bum, I would still be in orbit) but so far - touch wood - we haven't had one inside. Somehow I suspect that our current croaker is not the same frog which welcomed us over 14 years ago, but you never know.....they can apparently live quite long lives......
Words have been read. Stitches have been sewn, and more diamonds need to be cut. Songs have been plinked and sung. We hunted and we gathered, keeping clear of much of the festive Stuff currently around.....plenty of time for that still. A little running around here and there, hither and yon, and that was another week done.
For the past few years our neighbour kiddos have knocked on our door late in the year as their school has a mango fundraiser to make some funds for the "over and above" things that kids in primary school need. The two older kiddos are now in high school but the youngest still has four years to go - so, four more years of yummy mangoes! The mango tray is sitting on the kitchen counter and as they ripen I am peeling, slicing and dicing them to go in self-seal bags in the freezer. They are good on ice cream or gelato, and really good blended with milk for my breakfast smoothie.....and, of course, the kitchen smells mango divine.
"The comfort of others.
In seeking his own comfort, no passenger has a right to over-look or disregard that of others. If for his own comfort, he wishes to raise or lower a window, he should consult the wishes of passengers immediately around him before doing so. The discomforts of travelling should be borne cheerfully, for what may enhance your own comfort may endanger the health of some fellow-traveller."
Words as relevant in these days of air travel as they were in those far-ago days of train travel.....although I wouldn't recommend opening a window on a plane.
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer
I'm looking forward to seeing your forest growing. Hmm, I wonder if it will have tree frogs.
ReplyDeleteYour trees are wonderful with this beautiful fabric... have fun... and actually I feel like doing that too. My first blanket is finished... yay, I'm happy.
ReplyDeleteMany greetings from Viola
I look forward to seeing your other blocks :-)))
oh, i do love those batik trees! (you'll be weary of hearing that from me by the time your forest is complete) ... once upon a time the maintenance crew at the building i worked in managed to send hot water into the toilets - it was quite strange to receive a sauna on my backside - it only took one phone call for them to fix the problem (which the crew boss didn't find nearly as amusing as i did)...
ReplyDeleteThis time of the year, the schools sell oranges and grapefruit, though no one came around this year. I believe it was to fund travel for the school bands.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely those blocks are. It will be fun watching those trees grow?
ReplyDeleteI’m really looking forward to watching Arboretum grow. The colours will be so rich. Yum! We love mangoes. I really like the idea of a mango drive.
ReplyDeleteLove those forest trees! It's damp and humid here...yuk! Yum love mango season...nothing quite like that mango fragrance....enjoy xx
ReplyDeleteI do like the look of those blocks... your arboretum will be lovely. Fresh mangoes - heavenly....
ReplyDeleteHugz