Pages

Monday, November 3, 2008

It's WOW day!

But first, a photograph of my grandparents Edith and Frank Davis with my mother Mavis. This would have been taken in 1924, as my mother was born on 2nd April that year. It's a very large photograph, and I found it tucked away behind a dressing table in my mother's house after she died....I wonder why? I don't ever remember seeing it hanging on a wall there, although I think I remember it in my grandparents' house. It hangs in my house above......
.........the Singer treadle my grandmother bought to make baby clothes for my mother and her younger brother, which would make it a mid-1920s machine. Unfortunately one side of the cabinet is badly weathered because of where it was stored at my mother's house. I have a couple of Singer tins, including the little truck, sitting on it.
And here is the Wombat of the Week! A few years ago DH went to Mount Buller resort in Victoria for a conference, and brought me back a wombat on skis. Very appropriate, as Mount Buller is in the high country and gets snow every winter. The fabric is a print of flannel flowers, a pretty Aussie native.

Off to the doctor this morning for a blood test, I don't like having things stuck in me. And I wasn't given a sweetie afterwards for being a brave girl, even though I didn't cry or kick up a fuss when the needle went in.

3 comments:

  1. what a wonderful picture of your grandparents.... and I just love the machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a nice wombat to stroke.
    Stroking cats is meant to bring blood pressure down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo of your grandparents with your mother. I am glad you have it hanging in your home. I have one of Gom, that I rescued from MIL's garage!
    My treadle is very similar to yours, it was my grandmother's & it was made in 1915. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!