
First the finish......the blocks for this bag were started a few years ago and I never got around to assembling the bag when the blocks were finished. The pattern is one I have had for a very long time, "Sampler Sewing Bag" by Amberwood Crafts and it's the second time I have made it. The colours for the blocks were inspired by the rainbow striped fabric used for the handles, back and a couple of the blocks; the lining is lilac cotton.

This week's WOW is a blue, green and pink swirly glass wombat bought several years ago in Canberra, and it is posing on a lovely lace doyley made of linen with an edge of tatted lace. The doyley was made many years ago by my mother's Auntie Laura, I have several of her lace pieces. Unfortunately I never knew her as she died when I was a baby. Poor Laura, she had a sad life; had her first child, a son, at 17 then several years later married and had a daughter. Her daughter died as a teenager, and her son was killed just three years later in a confrontation between striking miners and police in the Hunter Valley, NSW. A distant cousin and I both share the middle name of Grace - Laura's daughter's name was Dorothy Grace.
We have been enjoying some lovely rain over the past few days, and more is forecast for tomorrow. Australia has had it all in the past ten days; floods in Queensland and parts of NSW, and fires in Victoria.
Kiera-Oona and I have been trying to work out to combine the posts for the folded star tutorial into one, if anyone out there in blogland knows how to do it we would appreciate a point in the right direction.
Jennifer
I love your bag.... great job!
ReplyDeleteThe bag is beautiful. I love all the bright & cheerful blocks inspired by the rainbow. Uhm. More creativity to flit around in my mind!
ReplyDeleteThe lace doyley is quite the treasure for the story that was your Aunt Laura. She lives as does her children, and will for years to come, in memory and memento. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
The bag is just lovely. Such a sad story of Aunt Laura and her family, thank you for sharing. So nice that you have her doillies and can share a part of her so she won't be forgotten.
ReplyDeletePlease blow that rain down south.
ReplyDeleteLove your bag.
I am having a giveaway with a bag as the item to be given away.
I have shown a couple of examples but intend to make it according to the winners colors.
I love bags made out of lots of bits and pieces and must have a real play again...once I catch up on a few I am committed to.
http://five-minutes-of-fame.blogspot.com/