This pretty shrub flowers in autumn and spring, I think it's called Tibouchina and comes from somewhere like Mexico. It's one of the few remaining from when we first moved here nearly 22 years ago, what with my brown thumbs and The Great Hailstorm of 1990 that shredded all the gardens in the district. But this keeps flowering, so we have let it stay. The lovely wire fence is between us and the building site next door, it's been over 18 months now since the building started. On one hand it's peaceful having no neighbours on one side of us, on the other hand living next door to a building site for so long has its drawbacks. At least when the workmen go home at the end of the day it's very peaceful. There's a house near here that has been a building site for at least ten years, probably closer to 15 or 20 - I really can't remember it ever not being partly built. I feel for their neighbours.
I am being taken out tonight for dinner but really wouldn't care if I didn't go, the prospect of getting out of my comfy slippers and tracky daks (sweat pants for those not in Oz) is taking on huge proportions. I would far rather stay home and sew, and be comfortable and warm. But I suppose I have to be grateful. Still, a birthday flower or card would have been nicer than being left on my own for much of the day.
Best wishes for Mother's Day for all the mums tomorrow.
Jennifer
Oh Jennifer, I had experience withthat &*()(& thread last summer and vowed not there would be cold in.....before I would ever use it again.
ReplyDeleteI love free motion quilting! I sucked at it last summer, but now, with 12 quilts behind me...I'm actually pretty good at it. Not bragging either, it's looking as if what they say about practice etc is the key.
I love that plant, looks a bit like our butterfly bush here in Canada.
We have messy neighbours which bugs me to death, at least when the house is finished next door, the mess should be gone!
In the caribbean, it happens like that too, build a bit, go work for more money to build, then build a bit etc and it could be 10 years or more for the house to be just built, not the insides done or anything like that.
Different strokes....
You sound so depressed, Jennifer. Hope you had a lovely time at dinner. I've noticed that sometimes the things I dread the most turn out to be the best times! I love the words for sweat pants!! Take care and enjoy that beautiful plant...now there's a fighter.
ReplyDeleteIf i had been there I would have kept you company :-) It kinda sucks that a huge landmass and a ginormous ocean seperates us.
ReplyDeleteoh yeah - i think monofilament is AWFUL! i was talked into buying three spools of that wicked stuff and it has been dutifully donated to charity - let some other poor fool find it in the "crafts gone bad" aisle
ReplyDelete