Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Rainy day WOW

These are very little pewter wombats, the one on the left is a bit over an inch long. I like the one on the right rolling on his back - that's what young wombats do.
Another pic of the pretty purple bush I posted the other day. When these are in flower the neighbourhood is very cheerful as they are a popular plant hereabouts, although someone (who didn't live near here) once told me she didn't like them, as she considered them too gaudy. Our neighbourhood needs all the colour it can get, it's a bit dull and boring otherwise.

Had a very nice dinner out on my birthday, but it was nearly spoilt for us, and for others too, by a large group of uncontrolled small children. There seemed to be two young families with about seven children in total; it was a bit hard to count them as they seemed to be everywhere all the time. They were rowdy, and stood on their chairs (we should be thankful, I suppose, they didn't stand on the tables too) and continually bumped and banged the chairs of other diners as they kept pushing past yelling and screaming. Perhaps their parents were not given a copy of the puppy training manual when they first gave birth......the one that teaches how to make a puppy sit, stay and heel. We asked to be moved, and we weren't the only ones who did so. There was another family group with three young children who were beautifully behaved, which made the large group look worse by comparison. The food was very good but we will think twice about returning.

At my birthday dinner Kevin gave me a voucher for a spa treatment of my choice, older son's girl manages a spa and has assured me I will get the royal treatment when I go there. Does this mean he thinks I need improving? That's a bit of a backhander on one's birthday. I know it's all downhill after 25, but let's not rub it in. And older son gave me a gorgeous Aussie native plant for Mother's Day.

Yesterday I unpicked the terrible quilting on my hanging and did it again using cotton thread, bugger the monofilament stuff. I even managed to j-u-s-t about quilt over the same lines so the holes in the batik fabric aren't too obvious. The quilting is not great but it's done, the hanging sleeve is sewn in place (nearly forgot about that) and I am part way machining the binding on.

Enjoy your week.

Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. I see a trend towards children being allowed to run wild in such situations, and it's a worry. How will they ever grow up with feelings of consideration for others? Instead I fear they will become self-centred, and oblivious of the effect that any of their behaviour has on others. Not very attractive people to know.

    Please see the spa voucher as a little bit of pampering that you deserve because Kevin loves you, not that he thinks you need a make-over. I'm sure that's what is meant, as I'm sure it was in my own DH's mind when he gave me one for Christmas (must hurry up and use it!). We are fortunate to have husbands who want to spoil us with a gift we would never buy ourselves. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One would think that the manager would have asked the table to keep their children seated....I wouldn't go back and would have told them so. Having had 4 children, I know how hard it is to control them, no excuse for that behaviour.
    I noted to you the other day regarding filament....It took me forever with lots of cursing just trying to find the beginning of the bloody spool! Never again for me and a lesson learned.
    Picking is an art that all quilters have. We have this down pat. It's not like taking the time to make the little stitches....it's the time to take them out and not poke holes in the fabric that stands alone as an accomplishment for quilters all over the world.
    I'm sure you will love the spa...if you are starting the path downward, this will delay it for a day and you will love the pampering.
    Pedicures and manicures are such a treat...a good gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug did the same thing for me one christmas as a gift to get my nails done at a salon. Instead, he treated me to get my hair braided back when it was super long by a professional.

    Besides, theres nothing wrong with a little relaxation and some pampering. I say enjoy a well deserved backrub or manicure or whatever you get done at the spa.

    People (espeically in their 20s to 30s) really need to learn how to controll their children when out and about at resturants or grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a few years ago, my oldest son kept entering my name for makeovers on Oprah and Jerry Springer (sheesh) and every other talk show that offered them ... i found it incredibly insulting and told him to knock it off ... i wouldn't mind losing a few pounds, but i LIKE my silver hair and the laugh lines on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't visited for a few days, & now I missed your birthday! Belated happy birthday wishes.
    The purple flower on that shrub is lovely, not gaudy! It is called Tibouchina & we have 3 of them in our yard.
    Shame about the children ruining your evening. We took our children dining out a lot when they were young, & we were very strict about them remaining in their seats. If they became bored we always provided drawing paper & pens.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!