This bag using hand-dyed fabrics was made for me as a gift several years ago. At the time a Brisbane-based Aussie business of fabric dyers and printers had some great designs featuring Aussie icons, the yellow print has wombats dancing along to the words 'snuffle....snuffle....snuffle.....' as they look for grassy shoots to eat. With a wombat applique, and a wooden wombat button, it's a useful bag.Despite being well and truly out of action over the past week due to a rather nasty respiratory infection I managed to get to the big quilt and craft show yesterday for a few hours. Was able to look at most of the quilts briefly, and to do a very little bit of shopping, before I ran out of steam. With nearly 400 quilts to look at it does take quite a while to get around and to do it justice. I got around, but I'm not sure that I managed to do it justice this year! The winners are here if you would like to feast your eyes.
I have been feeling crook as Rookwood this week but am starting to feel a little better now, thank goodness. Haven't done much by way of sewing or knitting, just a little hand-piecing when my nose wasn't running and my eyes weren't watering. Much of the time I just reclined feeling delicate and fragile. For the non-Aussies among us, "to feel crook" is to feel unwell, and to be "crook as Rookwood" is to feel very unwell indeed. I think the implication may have something to do with being at death's door, Rookwood being a very large cemetery, plus of course the rhyme - some of Aussie slang is rhyming slang.
So as I was feeling very crook I haven't started sewing Maple Leaf blocks. But today I have the strength and energy to thread the machine with red thread, so that's a start isn't it?
Have a lovely week.
Jennifer
i'm so glad that you are willing to translate for those of us who don't understand ... i want to see "Australia" but i know that i will need subtitles, so it's on the "rent" list ......i have to translate southspeak for my family and sometimes i don't have a clue, either ...... feel better!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're back - I missed you. So great that you could go to the quilt show, even though you couldn't do it all, nice to just get out and see all the beautiful ideas others create into beautiful quilts. Continue to get better!! Hugs your way.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you are feeling better .... nothing worse than trying to sew with a runny nose.
ReplyDeleteOh Jennifer, I do think that there are bugs that go around all the time. I too have been feeling a bit poorly. I put it to the fact that I was unable to blog, to have coffee with friends...must be tea time in Aussie land though. I love that little wombat. Addiction for your wombats is a wonderful thing...keep at it. I love all the stories as you know.
ReplyDeleteWent to fabricland and bought a whole bunch of outdoor fabric to do a cottage project. $5.00 per metre. Unbelievable deal...can't wait to finish it all.
Get better soon, not being able to thread a needle means you really do feel awful!