Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Happy WOW

Is this snow? not at all.....it was taken yesterday on our lunch trip to Mount Annan Botanical Gardens on a warm sunny day. Different botanic gardens specialise in specific plantings and this one's speciality is Australian plants. I can't remember the name of this interesting plant but it looks like some sort of snowy pine tree. The thin leaves hang vertically like those on many Aussie plants to minimise heat loss (a smaller surface presented to the sun means the plant doesn't overheat) and it has little white flowers that grow along the branches. So, no snow.
We saw this large goanna sunning itself by a pool, it was well over two feet (60cm) long - that's a lot of lizard, although they can grow much bigger. It let us get fairly close and I took a few pics, then it disappeared in a flash over the side.
Today's wombat spends all day lying around munching leaves. What a life! I bought him (my wombats are hers or hims, not its) about 12 years ago in Victoria, it's probably painted plaster designed to recline in a pot plant and look cute.

I am making good progress on the cardy, everytime we go out it comes with me, I knit in the car. Even if I only have time to knit two rows, that's two rows that wouldn't have been done if I had left it at home. I am determined to have this finished to wear as soon as I can. Many years ago I used to knit a lot more than I do now - that was before I took up quilting - when our sons were younger I would knit at band practices, and gymnastic practice, and all day at band or gymnastic competitions. All the mummies used to take their knitting in those days.

Here is the etiquette for travelling by public transport in 1885.

"Etiquette For Public Conveyances.
In street trams, omnibuses and other public street conveyances, it should be the endeavour of each passenger to make room for all persons entering, and no gentleman will retain his seat when there are ladies standing. When a lady accepts a seat from a gentleman, she expresses her thanks in a kind and pleasant manner.
A lady may, with perfect propriety, accept the offer of services from a stranger in alighting from, or entering a tram, omnibus or public conveyance, and should always acknowledge the courtesy with a pleasant "Thank you, sir" or a bow.
Never talk politics or religion in a public conveyance.
Gentlemen should not cross their legs, nor stretch their feet out into the passage-way of a public conveyance."

How times have changed.......

Three weeks tomorrow until we fly.

Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes manners seem to have disappeared with jeans and tees..too bad though I have seen seats given to preggies.
    There is a saying "better done than doing" so keep knitting as it will be done that much faster.
    Love the little guy...he needs some lettuce though....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will need that cardy when you visit here. The nights are cool ... down to 11C. There are reports that trees are starting to turn colour north of the city.

    Before quilting came along, knitting was a major part of my life and I still have quite a number of sweaters in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,

    Oh, that plant is beautiful. I really like reading your blog as I have always wanted to go to Australia...and never made it! Maybe someday!

    I think I would faint if I saw a lizard that was two feet long...

    Wombats are kind of cute looking little guys...I really like the one in the photo today...

    Yes, times have really changed ... it is amazing how ill mannered some people are now.

    I try to take my knitting everywhere too - you never know when you might have a chance to knit a few rows...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't knit very much anymore, but i do like to take handwork of some kind with me when i go somewhere - it keeps my mouth shut and me out of quite so much trouble

    love today's little wombat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer,
    I think that tree is a Bridal Broom.I was just reminiscing about it with my mum a few days ago! We had one in our garden when I was a kid. It looks and smells lovely if I remember rightly. Thanks, Ann.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!